The Student Room Group

Anyone else disgustingly ambitious?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
How does one become ambitious and delude his/her self into believing their ambitious goal to be possible?

Almost everything is possible though, you just need to figure out how to make it possible - ambition helps with that.
Original post by Princepieman

Almost everything is possible though, you just need to figure out how to make it possible - ambition helps with that.

I suppose my dream is to be a fast jet pilot or a race car driver. But dreams is all they are. Neither one is achievable imo
I'm disgustingly ambitious but it seems that ambition for bankers just means making all the money in the world.

I want to create culture, I want to start my own advertising agency and build it to legendary status. But the ultimate goal is not money (it's not a bad thing to want to make money - just to be clear). Number one is creating ads people love and get inspired by. It's having a say over which ideas or products will be advertised and promoted and which not (impossible when you're just an employee or a tiny firm). It's having that cultural influence and reach.

I want to create things people LOVE.
Wealth accumulation beyond financial autonomy is a silly pursuit. When independent, one should try to embrace what fulfils them, rather than trying to 'leave their mark' or 'stay at the top', by some function of narcissism or insecurity.

Chasing that image where you've "made it", where you've got the beautiful wife, a top job, living penthouse apartment overlooking over the city sky will leave you empty because it's a mirage. You'll achieve it bitter and toiled, having realised you've wasted a life chasing something that doesn't really exist because, once you have it, that won't be enough either. This dogmatic pursuit of idealised materialism, status conscious, is sad. We see it all throughout history and men once very powerful and now wise who've done the same tell us to do otherwise.

What's healthy is, instead of chasing this end, thriving in the process. The ideal is to enjoy the game. Those at the very top of the business world tend to tell us it's not about the money and it's not about the power. It's about the game. They could win or lose but the buzz of competing in that way has them hooked. It's about the process. If you're going to go this route, you need to do so being honest with yourself about whether you enjoy it day-to-day. Happiness isn't a goal to be strived for; It's being fulfilled on the journey towards that goal. Got to enjoy the game-- not just winning.

As a side note, this is precisely why the humanities are important. You can chase science and economics and engineering and you can conquer the world, indeed. The question is why and whether it will really turn out like you hope. Or will you reflect back with regret on a hollow shell of something you thought you needed to be?
(edited 7 years ago)
To answer the question more directly, no. I'd like to have wealth enough to pursue fulfilment, in whatever sense it might entail. The goal certainly isn't to get as many goodies as I can. It's do spend every moment sure I am doing what I want and what I love. That might (probably) entail work but the goal isn't to 'move up in the world' so much. I don't have that status fear.

Legacy doesn't make sense to me. You can't give a **** what people think when you're dead.
(edited 7 years ago)
I basically want to open schools in India for girls when I'm older and a little richer so they can get an education. But it seems very far fetched.
nope. I'm a lazy boy who plays ps4 and smokes weed a lot. university is nothing but playtime to me too.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I basically want to open schools in India for girls when I'm older and a little richer so they can get an education. But it seems very far fetched.

:smile: That's a cute dream.

It's probably more realistic than you think. The amount of non-profits currently working on educational projects in Africa to educate girls specifically is on the rise again. givewell actually has these projects in their 'recommended' to donate to. Their recommended ones are generally high priority and low exposure (not many people working in area) meaning you have maximum impact. Given that, I think it's absolutely reasonable that even if you cant open one by yourself or in your name certainly you can work on a project to do so or contribute in a meaningful way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
I hope to change and save the world, just try tell me I can't.
Original post by kate37
I hope to change and save the world.

Bet your first serious boyfriend is a troublemaker :tongue:
Original post by kate37
I hope to change and save the world, just try tell me I can't.

You can't

Spoiler

The spirit of Icarus is alive ITT; a few of you will achieve great things, I've no doubt, but the rest are going to fall hard.

It'd be interesting to see how many of you have a mid-life crisis.

Spoiler

Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The spirit of Icarus is alive ITT; a few of you will achieve great things, I've no doubt, but the rest are going to fall hard.

It'd be interesting to see how many of you have a mid-life crisis.

Spoiler

The downfall of capitalism is precisely this.

Everybody thinks they're on equal footing and have equal chance. They don't really.
Capitalism is great for those who succeed -- sky's the limit, but the failures have nobody to blame but themselves. And the likelihood is most will fail.

Sad, really.
Reply 53
Original post by Athematica
The downfall of capitalism is precisely this.

Everybody thinks they're on equal footing and have equal chance. They don't really.
Capitalism is great for those who succeed -- sky's the limit, but the failures have nobody to blame but themselves. And the likelihood is most will fail.

Sad, really.

I'm well aware that not everyone has equal footing. I have had enormous opportunities in life that some can only dream of but I also have nowhere near the privileges that some enjoy.

You have to start where you are, use what you have and do what you can. It's crazy how much you realise you are capable of once you start to try.
Original post by 99_Problems
I'm so disappointed with this thread. It's so cute and inspiring. You promised disgusting ambition. Where is the whispering to your CEO a terrible secret about your colleague so that they are no longer in line for the promotion, where is the seduction of an investor so that they relinquish more of their cash, where are the tales of ruthlessly trampling on others to get to the top?!. Come on guys geez.

I am disgustingly ambitious. I want to start my own Magazine make up brand. I met Anya Hindmarch the other day and her actual advice to me was "cut them dead". So yeah... I'm going to cut them dead
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Close to my end goal!

Schools, training centres and universities across developing nations. And ofc, my own company eventually.

IB/Consulting en route to that goal is a great path I feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hamo2509
I'm well aware that not everyone has equal footing. I have had enormous opportunities in life that some can only dream of but I also have nowhere near the privileges that some enjoy.

You have to start where you are, use what you have and do what you can. It's crazy how much you realise you are capable of once you start to try.

That's not actually my main issue with this thread. This is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4226994&page=3&p=66616680#post66616680

You sidestep the main issue here with "we can all make it!" which is cute motivational rhetoric but ultimately empty.

Edit: It's probably lacking tact to dig through your previous threads and bring it up here. Alas, I was curious and this struck me as the exact reason that your vision is poisonous:

Original post by Hamo2509
Love uni love stress not on the verge of a breakdown at all

Why are you doing this to yourself?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, and that means you have a 1 in 7 billion chance of being even in relative terms as influential as Newton.

It's a pretty big gamble. Might just be better to enjoy your life.
Reply 58
Original post by Athematica
That's not actually my main issue with this thread. This is http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4226994&page=3&p=66616680#post66616680

You sidestep the main issue here with "we can all make it!" which is cute motivational rhetoric but ultimately empty.

Edit: It's probably lacking tact to dig through your previous threads and bring it up here. Alas, I was curious and this struck me as the exact reason that your vision is poisonous:

Why are you doing this to yourself?

Hahah because as much as I'm dramatic and like to berate all my decisions, I love the grind really
Original post by KatieBlogger
Yes. I have 2 degrees and I'm working towards my 3rd. Something I've learned though - none of it matters. Not honours, titles, money, possessions, degrees.

I've witnessed people who had everything - particularly wealth and reputation - and I've seen how little it matters if they lose one thing...health. That puts it all into perspective. Kindness is the only thing that matters, ultimately. It's the only thing worth being remembered for...not for your bank balance or degrees - they don't leave a lasting positive impression on people or the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally unrelated, but did you do 2 BScs/BAs and now you are doing a masters or 1 BSc, a masters and now PHD?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending