The Student Room Group

Should I study in the US or in Scotland?

Hey there!

I have two offers and I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION PREFERABLY BY TOMORROW! I want to study grad medicine afterwards. I'd really appreciate any help.
1st offer: Southern Utah University in the US. That's what I'd like to do the most, it's however also the more expensive choice even though I received a 8,500$/year scholarship. Total cost including living cost would be about 16,000$/year. There are loans I could receive and I'm allowed to work on campus so it's affordable, however I'm not sure whether I'd still receive loans for grad medicine afterwards. It's still my dream and what I REALLY want to do, I'll probably never have an opportunity like this again.

2nd offer: Abertay University in Scotland. Since tuition is free for me, I'd only have to pay living costs which would be about 6,000£/year. There are also grants from our government and interest free loans (that I wouldn't receive for studying in the US), so I would probably need to pay less than that. So way cheaper and I mean I'd be happy there too, but I wouldn't be doing what I always wanted to do, yet I would save my ability to pay for grad medicine.

Would going to the US be a foolish decision? Please explain so that I'm able to make a decision by tomorrow. I'd still need to apply for a visa and look for housing in the US and orientation already starts on August 15 there.

Thank you again!!! :smile:
Are you talking about American federal loans? You have to start repaying these loans the second you graduate, regardless of whether you actually have a job or not. I would not take out a loan if I were you - especially if you have the option to study for free.

It makes no sense for an EU citizen to study in the US unless they are receiving substantial scholarships. The 'dream' of living in America is not worth the cost. Why do you want to study medicine in the US when it is so much cheaper in Europe?
Reply 2
Original post by sami2k16
Hey there!

I have two offers and I NEED TO MAKE A DECISION PREFERABLY BY TOMORROW! I want to study grad medicine afterwards. I'd really appreciate any help.
1st offer: Southern Utah University in the US. That's what I'd like to do the most, it's however also the more expensive choice even though I received a 8,500$/year scholarship. Total cost including living cost would be about 16,000$/year. There are loans I could receive and I'm allowed to work on campus so it's affordable, however I'm not sure whether I'd still receive loans for grad medicine afterwards. It's still my dream and what I REALLY want to do, I'll probably never have an opportunity like this again.

2nd offer: Abertay University in Scotland. Since tuition is free for me, I'd only have to pay living costs which would be about 6,000£/year. There are also grants from our government and interest free loans (that I wouldn't receive for studying in the US), so I would probably need to pay less than that. So way cheaper and I mean I'd be happy there too, but I wouldn't be doing what I always wanted to do, yet I would save my ability to pay for grad medicine.

Would going to the US be a foolish decision? Please explain so that I'm able to make a decision by tomorrow. I'd still need to apply for a visa and look for housing in the US and orientation already starts on August 15 there.

Thank you again!!! :smile:

I've moved your post the Study in North America forum.

Also, keep in mind GEM is extremely competitive in the UK. You should probably also ask for opinions in the Medicine Forum.

Whixh course are you planning on doing an Abertay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Utah isn't a bad place, and SUU has a solid rep, but why SUU? More so, why SUU if you are looking into GEM?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill

Also, keep in mind GEM is extremely competitive in the UK. You should probably also ask for opinions in the Medicine Forum.

Whixh course are you planning on doing an Abertay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you. Biomedical Sciences. I know it's competitive, that's however the best option I have. Already asked in the medicine forum :smile:.

Original post by Snufkin
Are you talking about American federal loans? You have to start repaying these loans the second you graduate, regardless of whether you actually have a job or not. I would not take out a loan if I were you - especially if you have the option to study for free.

It makes no sense for an EU citizen to study in the US unless they are receiving substantial scholarships. The 'dream' of living in America is not worth the cost. Why do you want to study medicine in the US when it is so much cheaper in Europe?
Thanks! I don't necessarily want to study medicine in the US, only do my Bachelor's degree there. Also, the loans I'd take out are from Germany (the country I live in) and they have to be paid back after starting work and earning money :smile:.

[QUOTE="jneill;66603132"]I've moved your post the Study in North America forum.

Original post by zombiejon
Utah isn't a bad place, and SUU has a solid rep, but why SUU? More so, why SUU if you are looking into GEM?

Thanks to you, too :smile:.
Well, they awarded me their highest scholarship and I think it's a nice university. It doesn't matter where I do my Bachelor's degree for grad medicine in the UK, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
It's that I think I'd regret it if I dIdn't go there.
[QUOTE="sami2k16;66605168"]Thank you. Biomedical Sciences. I know it's competitive, that's however the best option I have. Already asked in the medicine forum :smile:.

Thanks! I don't necessarily want to study medicine in the US, only do my Bachelor's degree there. Also, the loans I'd take out are from Germany (the country I live in) and they have to be paid back after starting work and earning money :smile:.

Original post by jneill

Thanks to you, too :smile:.
Well, they awarded me their highest scholarship and I think it's a nice university. It doesn't matter where I do my Bachelor's degree for grad medicine in the UK, right?

I would think carefully about where you choose to do your undergraduate degree. If ultimately you would like to live in the UK or work in the UK or Europe after living in the US I would suggest studying at a UK or EU institution which enables you to be able to study abroad in the US for a year. Especially if you would like to do a PG medicine course in the US this would be preferable. If you can see if any universities would offer access to the US for a year this will you the freedom to live in the US for a year, get some interesting experience, and come back to finish your studies.

If you're looking for an interesting place to study which would give you the option of study in the UK or North America (US or Canada) after your bachelors I would consider looking at St Georges University in the West Indies (Grenada) http://www.sgu.edu/.

Check it out.

I'm from America and studied at University of Edinburgh in Scotland for my UG and the Sussex University for my PG in Marketing. Both of these gave me the option to go back to the US if I chose to do so.

Consider your options, consider what you truly want long term and enjoy the journey. Life is too short not to take some risks but also evaluate where you may like to be. Your UG will ultimately shape your PG options if that is what you would like longterm as well.

:smile:

Technically, it doesn't. However, reputation of the university may play a factor when applying to GEM, which is where LinnyPinny77's point in terms of choosing a geographic location comes into play.

Although SUU has a solid rep locally, I doubt it's as well known in the UK/EU as some other institutions. That would limit you when it comes to applying for GEM. For example, if a GEM admission officer is given the choice between a U of Michigan magna *** laude versus a SUU magna *** laude with identical CVs, it is more likely that the U of M student will be chosen.

You would probably be better off with a bigger name in the US if intending to apply for UK GEM, or choose a UK uni.
Reply 8
Scotland cause of how much cheaper it'll be !
Original post by LinnyPinny77
snip

:eek: I was curious that you were American so I LinkedIn stalked you. No way did you study SS! :heart: Dream course! :heart: I hardly ever meet SS students/graduates on here... you must know nearlyheadlessian?
Reply 10
[QUOTE="LinnyPinny77;66606142"]
Thank you. Biomedical Sciences. I know it's competitive, that's however the best option I have. Already asked in the medicine forum :smile:.

I would think carefully about where you choose to do your undergraduate degree. If ultimately you would like to live in the UK or work in the UK or Europe after living in the US I would suggest studying at a UK or EU institution which enables you to be able to study abroad in the US for a year. Especially if you would like to do a PG medicine course in the US this would be preferable. If you can see if any universities would offer access to the US for a year this will you the freedom to live in the US for a year, get some interesting experience, and come back to finish your studies.

If you're looking for an interesting place to study which would give you the option of study in the UK or North America (US or Canada) after your bachelors I would consider looking at St Georges University in the West Indies (Grenada) http://www.sgu.edu/.

Check it out.

I'm from America and studied at University of Edinburgh in Scotland for my UG and the Sussex University for my PG in Marketing. Both of these gave me the option to go back to the US if I chose to do so.

Consider your options, consider what you truly want long term and enjoy the journey. Life is too short not to take some risks but also evaluate where you may like to be. Your UG will ultimately shape your PG options if that is what you would like longterm as well.

:smile:

Thanks :smile:. SGU is in the Caribbean. So after graduation I'd like to work in the US. I know it's a long way until then. But I think doing the degree in the US or the UK is better than doing it at a Carribean university..

Original post by zombiejon
Technically, it doesn't. However, reputation of the university may play a factor when applying to GEM, which is where LinnyPinny77's point in terms of choosing a geographic location comes into play.

Although SUU has a solid rep locally, I doubt it's as well known in the UK/EU as some other institutions. That would limit you when it comes to applying for GEM. For example, if a GEM admission officer is given the choice between a U of Michigan magna *** laude versus a SUU magna *** laude with identical CVs, it is more likely that the U of M student will be chosen.

You would probably be better off with a bigger name in the US if intending to apply for UK GEM, or choose a UK uni.

So my chance to get into GEM would be higher if I went to Abertay instead of SUU ? Thanks :smile:.

Original post by fefssdf
Scotland cause of how much cheaper it'll be !

So my chance to get into GEM would be higher if I went to Abertay instead of SUU ? Thanks :smile:.

If you absolutely were gunning for GEM and had to choose between Abertay and SUU, I would side with Abertay.
[QUOTE="sami2k16;66611614"]

Thanks :smile:. SGU is in the Caribbean. So after graduation I'd like to work in the US. I know it's a long way until then. But I think doing the degree in the US or the UK is better than doing it at a Carribean university..

Hi There,

Studying at SGU enables you to do your clinical training in the UK or the US depending on your preference. See here: http://www.sgu.edu/international/uk/ and http://www.sgu.edu/international/uk/why-grenada.html

"And yet with close links with UK institutions dating back more than 30 years - plus plenty of opportunities to learn, train and, ultimately, to practise, in the UK, or the US - at SGU you're never really far from home."

They have close links with both the US and the UK giving you the degree of flexibility you're clearing looking for in an institution to study.

Up to you but it seems to offer the best of what you're looking to achieve by studying in either the US or the UK but giving you the flexibility.

Best of luck whatever you choose.
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi there!

As you can see, there are many things to think about, and many different opinions/thoughts. I'll throw in my thoughts on this.

If going to the US is indeed affordable, and you can make sure of that (thinking about the effect of future loans, emergencies, travelling, etc) then it sounds like a no-brainer to me. Honestly, if I had the money, I would've studied in the US for my undergrad easily.

As has been mentioned, if you want to live and work in the UK or Europe, doing your undergrad in Scotland would make the most sense. You may have the option to study abroad to the US so you still get a taste for it. Some degrees or jobs will look a lot more favourably on those with experience or education in their own country, or at least continent.

Everything is dependent on something else. Only you know your situation, so it's hard to advise completely. Best of luck on your decision! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 14
I'm from abroad and am gonna study in Scotland which I'm sure is far cheaper than the US but you need to think about things like travel costs, health insurance, student visa and work visa and any other emergency costs as living costs don't usually include health and travel insurance for example.
Sounds a bit pessimistic but having studied abroad before I learnt about the hidden costs and issues that no one tells you about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
:eek: I was curious that you were American so I LinkedIn stalked you. No way did you study SS! :heart: Dream course! :heart: I hardly ever meet SS students/graduates on here... you must know nearlyheadlessian?

Haha yes I did so Scandinavian Studies and if this is Ian Giles then yes I do know Ian! :smile: Have to say runology and old norse are super useful in daily life!
Haha yes I did so Scandinavian Studies and if this is Ian Giles then yes I do know Ian! :smile: Have to say runology and old norse are super useful in daily life!

Yeh, him. I think he still uses TSR but since the big Scandinavian Studies thread went inactive I've not seen him about. Old Norse must come in handy all the time! :viking: Maybe one day I'll get a chance to learn...
Reply 17
Thanks to all of you :smile:.
Should I just do it and apply for my student visa? My parents keep telling me that even though I might be able to pay tuition and all other costs through my student loan I might not be able to pay for the remaining 4 years of med school and that's true. I might not have access to more loan money if I use everything for my undergrad studies. Nevertheless, I think I'd regret it if I didn't do what I always wanted. However, the US might be a lot cheaper if I did well and secured more scholarships in the second year and I could deduct about 3,000$/year if I worked on campus. Please help me.
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hi there!

As you can see, there are many things to think about, and many different opinions/thoughts. I'll throw in my thoughts on this.

If going to the US is indeed affordable, and you can make sure of that (thinking about the effect of future loans, emergencies, travelling, etc) then it sounds like a no-brainer to me. Honestly, if I had the money, I would've studied in the US for my undergrad easily.

As has been mentioned, if you want to live and work in the UK or Europe, doing your undergrad in Scotland would make the most sense. You may have the option to study abroad to the US so you still get a taste for it. Some degrees or jobs will look a lot more favourably on those with experience or education in their own country, or at least continent.

Everything is dependent on something else. Only you know your situation, so it's hard to advise completely. Best of luck on your decision! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thanks :smile:. The US is definitely affordable. What might not be affordable is med school afterwards if I use the loan money for the US. I can't tell what it'll be like in 4 years and whether or not I'll have access to more loans.

Original post by Swagio
I'm from abroad and am gonna study in Scotland which I'm sure is far cheaper than the US but you need to think about things like travel costs, health insurance, student visa and work visa and any other emergency costs as living costs don't usually include health and travel insurance for example.
Sounds a bit pessimistic but having studied abroad before I learnt about the hidden costs and issues that no one tells you about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile:. I already know about all of the cost and calculated that into the 17,000$.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending