A level maths modules and exams help!

Hi,
I've just finished my gcses and will begin A-levels in september
I will be studying:
Maths
Physics
Economics
Further maths
My college does C1 C2 C3- AS pure maths and FP1 M1 S1- AS further maths in Year 12
I wish to only do AS further maths but I'll carry on normal maths to A2, im aware pure maths alevel also consists of c4 fp2 fp3, but by taking further maths upto AS the only other modules I assume i have for Year 13 is c4 s2 m2? will my AS pure maths modules be transfered to alevel maths modules? is c4 m2 s2 a possible combination to give me a grade in Alevel maths and further maths? will be modules be aranged or are they locked to further maths AS?
Alternatively
I am considering doing AS further maths in Year 13 instead
This means in Year 12 I'll be doing C1 C2 S1 and in Year 13 i'll be doing C3 C4 M1 and FP1 S2 M2
will it be possible to self teach and sit M1 in Year 12 with c1c2s1? i'm considering it be easy since i'll study mechanics- forces etc in physics so I can lower my workload in year 13 with just s2 or m2 and fp1
I am predicted A/A* at gcse maths
can you sit 4 or 5 exams rather than the standard 3 in one sitting and still be graded normally the following year in Year 13?
finally is AS further maths best in Year 12 or 13 ?
I wish to go study maths/theoretical physics/economics at a mid-lower end russell group uni such as Kings college or queen mary
Maths modules are very flexible, and the applied units can be part of the normal maths or further maths qualification. Exam boards will switch units between the two qualifications so you end up with the best overall grades eg: If you got a high A from C1, C2 and S1 (taught in your normal maths class) and a high B from FP1 D1 and D2 (taught in your further maths class), the exam board may group it as C1, C2 and D1 for maths and FP1, S1 and D2 for further maths, giving you two A's. The only modules locked up in one qualification are C1-4 which can't count towards further maths and FP1-3 which can't count towards normal maths.

You definitely can split an AS across the two years- I self taught AS further maths and did FP1 in year 12 and FP2 and M2 in year 13. It doesn't matter how many modules you sit at a time.

I don't have any experience with the pure maths syllabus, if your school does it take advice from them. But as long as you have 9 modules including C1-4 and FP1 you will get an A level in maths and an AS in further maths.
Reply 2
Thanks!
but how hard is self teaching further maths AS?
given that I have a decent aptitude for maths (GCSE A/A* Predicted) will it be a challenge? fp1 looks complicated looking at past papers? do you need to learn c3 and c4 first?
Original post by AAli1738
Thanks!
but how hard is self teaching further maths AS?
given that I have a decent aptitude for maths (GCSE A/A* Predicted) will it be a challenge? fp1 looks complicated looking at past papers? do you need to learn c3 and c4 first?

I wouldn't know about self-teaching it, but you would only need C1 and C2 knowledge for FP1 but for most of it it's all new concepts anyhow so you can learn straight from it.
Hi,
FP1 introduces a lot of new concepts in maths which you won't have come across at all in GCSE or normal maths A-level. Personally, I enjoyed learning these topics, and I found FP1 much more interesting than any of my normal maths modules.
Once you get used to the material the exam questions tend to be quite predictable. (I did edexcel, it might be different on other exam boards. I do really recommend the edexcel course though because the textbooks are great for self teaching- loads of examples.)
FP1 only requires C1 and C2 knowledge, although most of it is unrelated to C1 and C2 and I was fine doing it before I'd finished C2.
The important thing for self teaching maths is just to do all the questions in the book. Don't do halves of exercises and follow up every question you can't do. When you're finished the teaching- this should be around easter time- just focus on doing past papers, again, following up any questions you can't do.
You'll have to do two more modules for an AS, which can be done in either year. If you're interested in physics do a mechanics module- M1 is mostly covered in physics AS so will be really easy, and M2 is also linked to physics.

Quick Reply

Latest