The Student Room Group

Any Year 12 retake students our there?

***Was meant to say "out" not "our". Slip of the finger whilst typing on the phone***

With results day imminently crawling near and the certainty that I failed being reinforced by my thoughts, I can't help but ask if there are any Year 12 retake students who are willing to share their experiences with the process of applying, universities, restrictions etc
I have heard that universities discriminate those who retake any exams even resitting the entire year and this is putting me on the edge D:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in the same position as you right now and I'm completely freaking out since my college doesn't let you re sit with them and since i have really bad social anxiety I just can't go through going to a different college.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by heatherhoohoo
***Was meant to say "out" not "our". Slip of the finger whilst typing on the phone***

With results day imminently crawling near and the certainty that I failed being reinforced by my thoughts, I can't help but ask if there are any Year 12 retake students who are willing to share their experiences with the process of applying, universities, restrictions etc
I have heard that universities discriminate those who retake any exams even resitting the entire year and this is putting me on the edge D:

Original post by jasmine321
I'm in the same position as you right now and I'm completely freaking out since my college doesn't let you re sit with them and since i have really bad social anxiety I just can't go through going to a different college.

Hi :smile: I had to resit year 12 after getting EEUU in Psychology, Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I was absolutely convinced I'd at least passed Psychology but I didn't (I was, however, only 4UMS off) I moved colleges and started again doing Sociology, Psychology (with a different exam board) and Film Studies. Looking back my attendance was low, my subjects didn't suit me, there was a lack of support and I just didn't try hard enough.

Last year, and to my complete surprise, I got ABC in those respective subjects (getting an A in Sociology still shocks me!). I applied for various Politics dual honours courses at Cardiff, Birmingham, Aberystwyth and Swansea. I received offers from all of them except Swansea because I withdrew from that application.

I firmed Cardiff and insured Aberystwyth, but come March I no longer wanted to do Politics so I changed my firm course to Journalism, Media & Sociology. Now I'm just waiting for A2 results which is terrifying.

I don't, however, regret having to redo a year at all. I feel I'm in a much better position now in terms of my Aspergers and anxiety and I loved both my college and my subjects. It's also given me time to figure out what I truly want and I am now hopefully heading towards a career in Advertising. If I'd passed that year I would have applied for Psychology and probably would have been miserable at university. I did email a few universities before I applied and they didn't appear to have any bias against retakes though obviously Oxbridge, LSE and others might so I would advise emailing if you aren't sure.

If you are retaking you have a great chance to fix what went wrong the first time so make the most of it!

Best of luck for Results Day :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
You'll all be fine.
Original post by heatherhoohoo

Not really. The ones that i know that discriminate is Imperial and oxford. Yes universities such as kings college and ucl do say you have a smaller chance especially for courses like medicine. A couple of my friends resat the whole year and have offers from kings college, UCL, Bath, nottingham and cardiff
If anyone needs a tutor I would be happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest