The Student Room Group

Did I do the right thing dumping this girl???!

I was seeing this girl for about 2 months. To start with, I thought she was great. But even early on, her insecurities became obvious. She said at least 3 times in the first few weeks that I was 'way out of her leagues' and would regularly ask me if I was seeing other girls ( I wasn't ). She would always ask me if she looked okay and would become super clingy, never wanting me to leave her, even for classes.
Towards the end of the 'relationship' she told me about her suicide attempt which had happened only a month before we started dating. It sounded like a very serious attempt and it did scare me a bit.

In the end I had to dump her. She just became too clingy and I wasn't ready for that level of commitment. I know she was very upset and I felt awful; she was a nice girl, but I just couldn't see it working.

Sometimes I still feel bad even though deep down i know it was the right thing to do.
Was it?
I can't see the point of staying with somewhere where you either don't see it working or aren't happy. So, yeah, imo, you did the right thing.
So many major red flags in there. Lucky you got out early.
You BOTH need to be happy in a relationship, the fact that you weren't is a red flag. My ex was similar and now I'm with someone a lot more mature, understanding and compassionate, i've never been happier. She's moved on too and from what I know, we're both happier and glad how things turnt out - you did the right thing OP :smile:
A lot of red flags, she definitely isn't in the right frame of mind to have a relationship and she needs help.

Yes it was the right thing to dump her, it wouldn't have been a great relationship
If you had stayed with her you could have found yourself in a situation where she's using the fact she tried to commit suicide as a way to get you to do whatever she wanted, like staying up all night or doing things you wouldn't normally do. I've seen it happen before and I think you've saved yourself from worse.
Original post by Anonymous
I was seeing this girl for about 2 months. To start with, I thought she was great. But even early on, her insecurities became obvious. She said at least 3 times in the first few weeks that I was 'way out of her leagues' and would regularly ask me if I was seeing other girls ( I wasn't ). She would always ask me if she looked okay and would become super clingy, never wanting me to leave her, even for classes.
Towards the end of the 'relationship' she told me about her suicide attempt which had happened only a month before we started dating. It sounded like a very serious attempt and it did scare me a bit.

In the end I had to dump her. She just became too clingy and I wasn't ready for that level of commitment. I know she was very upset and I felt awful; she was a nice girl, but I just couldn't see it working.

Sometimes I still feel bad even though deep down i know it was the right thing to do.
Was it?

Was definitely the right thing to do; girls (and guys) often use the 'you're out of my league' to manipulate the other person and make them feel bad, and it looks it's the reason you feel bad. Honestly by staying with her you would've hurt her more; no one wants a half hearted person in a relationship.

Quick Reply

Latest