The Student Room Group

Mate Of Mine Screwed Up BIG TIME, Advice I Can Give Him?

Hey Guys;

Well, a mate of mine had to do 4 retakes and 3 of them have come back now and ALL the results were below 30 (Second Year Biomedical Science). I'll admit he's been through a lot this year (Grandmother died in April, Broke up with his first girlfriend in March and now this...) and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice to help him out.

I don't know what his last exam result is because it hasn't been released yet but, all going WELL, he will get a MAXIMUM of 60 credits this year.
I am also in second year Biomed but, lady luck was a lot kinder to me. So, I don't know what to say unless it basically looks like pity...

EDIT:
He's done a Foundation year too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Scienceisgood
Hey Guys;

Well, a mate of mine had to do 4 retakes and 3 of them have come back now and ALL the results were below 30 (Second Year Biomedical Science). I'll admit he's been through a lot this year (Grandmother died in April, Broke up with his first girlfriend in March and now this...) and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice to help him out.

I don't know what his last exam result is because it hasn't been released yet but, all going WELL, he will get a MAXIMUM of 60 credits this year.
I am also in second year Biomed but, lady luck was a lot kinder to me. So, I don't know what to say unless it basically looks like pity...

EDIT:
He's done a Foundation year too.

Don't date for the rest of uni if it affected him for months :dontknow:

I guess he'll be Resitting the year?
It depends on where he is studying as the rules for progression are Uni dependent. At my uni he would be kicked out now. Any mitigating circumstances would have to have been claimed at the time of the assessment not when the results come out. He needs to contact advisors in the student union or department to find out if there is any way to continue.
Original post by Aph
Don't date for the rest of uni if it affected him for months :dontknow:

I guess he'll be Resitting the year?

Yes, he will be resitting the year.

Original post by magratgarlick
It depends on where he is studying as the rules for progression are Uni dependent. At my uni he would be kicked out now. Any mitigating circumstances would have to have been claimed at the time of the assessment not when the results come out. He needs to contact advisors in the student union or department to find out if there is any way to continue.

We both study at UWE (University of West England).
Well guys, looks like he passed his final exam this year but still, only with 60 credits this year under his belt, need advice...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm also at UWE, he could possibly speak to tutors and if they know what he's been through could be a lot more sympathetic? UWE are quite nice with stuff like that cause my boyfriend was ill and they helped him out and my friends dad passed away and they let them both have extenuating circumstances :smile: hopefully your friend can be helped xxxx

Quick Reply