The Student Room Group

Inspiring results day stories

Just over a week ago, you guys may remember a thread called 'Results day horror stories'. A few of you were saying that we were insensitive considering that results were right round the corner :colone:

So we will try something different as we approach results day - have you got any stories about when you thought that you weren't going to do well with results but you did? Have you got any stories about results that ended happily? :biggrin: Do you feel you've done well for your impending results?

My example: Back in the day when I did my GCSEs, I had no idea how I was going to do. When I went and picked up my results, I decided to go down an alleyway incase I was going to have breakdown over it - luckily I did well and got into college :biggrin: I remember shouting 'Yes!' out loud :lol: quite cringey thinking back to it :redface:

You know the drill guys - let's have some positive vibes :h:

(Inspiring is a bit misleading :colondollar: It can be anything that is happy!)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've told this story on another thread, but I'll tell it again anyway! In AS Level Geography, I got a low C, and had to retake one of the units. I felt the retake had gone terribly - I'd run out of time to revise, the stuff I hadn't revised came up, I misread one of the 10 markers and wasted a lot of time by writing about the wrong topic etc. Somehow though, I got an A for that retake, and I ended up getting a B overall at A2, which was one of my conditions for university :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
I've told this story on another thread, but I'll tell it again anyway! In AS Level Geography, I got a low C, and had to retake one of the units. I felt the retake had gone terribly - I'd run out of time to revise, the stuff I hadn't revised came up, I misread one of the 10 markers and wasted a lot of time by writing about the wrong topic etc. Somehow though, I got an A for that retake, and I ended up getting a B overall at A2, which was one of my conditions for university :biggrin:

Looks like you got pretty Lucky there's
Reply 3
When I did GCSE RE I did the first exam in year 9 and got an A and then when it came to do the second exam I really wanted an A* overall but I needed 98ums which I thought was pretty impossible however I hardcore revised for this exam and ended up with 100ums and so did get an A* overall in the end and got A*A*A in 3 GCSE's at the end of year 10 which was great .... Shame this success didn't continue into year 11 lol
Original post by fefssdf
Looks like you got pretty Lucky there's

Definitely! I think on that retake, a lot of other students misread the question too as I saw people arguing over what it said online afterwards, so they may have been more lenient with the marking :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Leviathan1741
Definitely! I think on that retake, a lot of other students misread the question too as I saw people arguing over what it said online afterwards, so they may have been more lenient with the marking :smile:

Haha oh right well I'm pleased for you ; what uni are you at now and what are you studying ?
Lol I am yet to experience anything inspiring on a results day :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hopefully I can add another happy post on August 18th !
Reply 8
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Lol I am yet to experience anything inspiring on a results day :biggrin:

Maybe this will be your lucky year where you get some drunk examiner who adds up your marks wrong and you get A*'s In everything :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Haha oh right well I'm pleased for you ; what uni are you at now and what are you studying ?

I took a gap year, but I will be studying BSc Geoscience at Keele University this September :smile:
Original post by fefssdf
Maybe this will be your lucky year where you get some drunk examiner who adds up your marks wrong and you get A*'s In everything :smile:

If that happens I'll be sure to report back to this thread :tongue:
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
If that happens I'll be sure to report back to this thread :tongue:

Haha please do, and is your avatar an ompa lumpa ?
Reply 12
Erm...I got good results...and I was very happy
How does one be inspirational
The best thing was opening a webpage at midnight to see that "1" in STEP, low as it was, and be pretty confident that my place was confirmed..I had no idea what the boundaries were and figured I was on anything from a high 3 to a high 2, but just landed above my best estimations
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
The best thing was opening a webpage at midnight to see that "1" in STEP, low as it was, and be pretty confident that my place was confirmed..I had no idea what the boundaries were and figured I was on anything from a high 3 to a high 2, but just landed above my best estimations

grats m8
Ummm i dunno how inspirational this is gonna be but okay, 2 things from my GCSE results.

- Needed a B in Eng. Lang to be allowed onto AS Philosophy, I got a C but they allowed me on (though this was the year where there was a huge outrage over jan/june grade boundaries so I was kinda lucky).
- Need a C to do AS German, back when I did GCSEs I had no intention to do AS German (fast forward a few years and here I am). I achieved a D in GCSE German and was allowed onto the AS course and I'm now predicted an A... so yeah :tongue:

Not that inspirational lmao.
I have to mention that these stories are not really inspiring .
Nevertheless I'll write about my not-that-inspiring-well-pretty-boring As and A2 physics result day:
In my opinion physics is a very inspiring subject but a-level physics is boring (I spent most of my time learning all these exam techniques and since I had an A* offer I had to make sure that I don't lose many marks on these ****ing asterisk questions). So when I returned home from school (one cold february day) I was very disappointed with my results ; 265/300 in A2 units when I needed 270 . I knew I could resit but I didn't want because these exam really hurt . I then asked Edexcel to remark unit 4 but they remarked unit 1 in which I had 120/120 ums . I asked them again and they finally gave me these 5 ums . Meanwhile , I had to register to physics june exams because the deadline was earlier than the remark day so I paid 300 euros + 40 for the remark . Such a wonderful experience .
(edited 7 years ago)

A 1 in step hahahaa you're literally so smart ; I thought my mate was crazy for getting a 2 in step lol. You're some maths genius hmmm
Back in my GCSEs i was always terrible at english i had Cs in my coursework and Ds and Es in every class and mock assessment. I came out of my language in literature exams feeling terrible and thinking i'd have to resit englisg at college. In my language exam i wrote in the wrong format and in literature i misunderstood the poem. I told my english teacher what i wrote and she said i'll probably get a D in lit and language. It got 2 A*s (100℅ in lit and 92℅ in language). I was completely overwhelmed.:biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by fefssdf
A 1 in step hahahaa you're literally so smart ; I thought my mate was crazy for getting a 2 in step lol. You're some maths genius hmmm

1 mark over the boundary lol. I advise you to look at some of the long running threads in the maths forum for proper geniuses..:redface:
1 mark over the boundary lol. I advise you to look at some of the long running threads in the maths forum for proper geniuses..:redface:

OOOH lucky . I got an A in As further maths by getting exactly 240ums last year LMAO

Quick Reply

Latest