The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Halls and U1 and U5X buses at Oxford Brookes

Hi

I have accepted a place at OUB and my courses are all at Wheatley so I will be relying on the U1X or U5X buses depending on which halls I get.

My reading suggests that the U1X is more frequent and possibly more reliable than the U5X but that overcrowding can be a problem.

Any of last years UGs around who could help with advice, particularly regarding buses if you are at Mews, Slade or Paul Kent.

Also any comments on Clive Booth versus Cheney

Cheers

Spuddders
Original post by Spuddders
Hi

I have accepted a place at OUB and my courses are all at Wheatley so I will be relying on the U1X or U5X buses depending on which halls I get.

My reading suggests that the U1X is more frequent and possibly more reliable than the U5X but that overcrowding can be a problem.

Any of last years UGs around who could help with advice, particularly regarding buses if you are at Mews, Slade or Paul Kent.

Cheers

Spuddders

You're better off being near a stop that is closer to town/further away from Wheatley so that you get on before everybody else. Guys at Crescent will have no problem getting a seat, Paul Kent slightly more of a problem and Slade a big problem. Also remember the uni buses aren't exclusive to Brookes students and unfortunately contain numerous screaming 12-14 year old children. I caved after 2 days and started driving myself to Wheatley just to avoid the commute in and avoid having to wait ages for the bus to take me back to civilization. Maybe it improved after I stopped using it but I can't really say. I think they run 2 buses close to each other for 9 am lecturers so if the first bus is full you can get the second.

I would recommend Paul Kent > Crescent > Slade > Clive ES > Clive Non ES > Cheney for people at Wheatley. No idea what/where Mews is so can't comment. Don't choose Lady Spencer at all, not even your 5th choice. Also can't comment on or have never seen a U1X.

Not too keen on either Clive or Cheney but if you wanna live close to the main campus (not really worth it if your at Wheatley) pick Clive just because it's much cheaper.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by Spuddders
Hi

Cheers

Spuddders

From Clive Booth to Wheatley is about 45-1hr especially if there's traffic. So bare that in mind. I lived in CB and had to travel to Hardcourt which is the other side campus for half my lectures and getting up at 6am to get the bus for 7.45m wasn't a big deal. But if you like your bed and are not a morning person you will struggle to get the bus early from CB to Wheatley if you have morning lectures.

Whether it's U5X or U1X, both are quicker because the X buses doesn't stop at the pedestrian bus stops. They just pretty much go from Headington Campus to the next Campus with relative ease.

Cheney is notorious for having the "rich" kids or the girls that wear oversized demin jackets and the guys that like to wear the oversized jumpers in skinny jeans with a snapback... So yeah.

CB is where the cool kids are at. :wink: It's cheaper and I think it's more of a community cause everyone knows everyone. I can't comment on the atmosphere in Cheney but I made some good friends from Cheney anyway, but what I heard from them, most of the students are stuck up their own backsides. Not all of them of course, but that's what I heard.

CB is WAY cheaper too. It also has a shorter contract. I'd only recommend Cheney if A) you can afford it and B) if you wish to stay there for until mid or late June or possibly July. It's on their website though (CB accom expires in mid-May).
Hi Guys,

Completely not bus related... Has anybody seen all the freshers week events stuff on FB? Im so confused by it all!
Original post by craigpitson
Hi Guys,

Completely not bus related... Has anybody seen all the freshers week events stuff on FB? Im so confused by it all!

What's confusing you sweetheart?
Reply 5
Original post by craigpitson
Hi Guys,

Saw this but the relevant site is undergoing maintenance atm

http://www.brookesunion.org.uk/freshersweek

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending