Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Everyone come and read this forum! (EVERYONE)

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

So tell me how do you revise, I need to revise in a good way for A levels this September since it's something new to me. Everyone tell me how you revise and what you found to be most useful, everyone year 10 students year 11 everyone.

Different people have different methods that work for them. It will also vary between subjects. Revision for maths is very different to revision for humanities, for example.

I would suggest trying out a few methods throughout year 12, and seeing what works best for you during mocks.

Some ideas:

- Revision guides: Can be found cheap in charity shops this time of year
    - Past papers: Essential in my opinion, especially for maths and sciences, where questions get repeated year on year.
    - Index cards: Make concice notes to carry around and read through to help you remember the basics. E.g. you can make the most of your journey to college
    - Flash cards: Have a question on one side, and the answer on the other. Every time you go through them, make a pile of the questions you get wrong, and go over those topics.
    - Posters: If colour/pictures is your thing, make some posters. If you have space, stick them up so that you see them all the time when walking around the house. Can be useful for scientific diagrams etc.
    - Mindmaps: Write as many points as you can from a prompt (for example a date, for history, or the name of a case study, for geography). When you're done, use a textbook to fill in any details you forgot in another colour.
    - Apps: Plenty out there now. Many are essentially virtual flashcards
    - Group revision - Either in person or via Skype or similar. Even if your friends don't study the same subjects as you, seeing each other working can be motivational, plus you can agree to not distract each other for a set amount of time.

Hope that helped. Best of luck with your studies

Throw the books away and use past papers. Seriously.

Just to add to the above replies, I would also highly recommend making revision notes as you cover each topic in class. This will save time in the long run, and you can use the specification for each of your subjects to check whether you've missed anything. I'd also suggest going along to any homework/revision help sessions which may be available, as they can be really useful if you're struggling with any aspect of the work or content

past papers
    summarise everything you need to know into key points and then memorised those points
    youtube videos !!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.