The Student Room Group

Do you trust the police?

In general but also specific forces if you please e.g. you trust the british police as a whole but not the met etc.

I mean personally not in the slightest, the met and TVP in particular whilst they have improved slightly in recent years they are still thoroughly unpleasant institutions i.e. racial profiling, abuse and so on. Not to mention they seem to be staffed by flunkys [at least the ones i've met and i've heard about whilst on the other hand the Police forces in NZL, Italy and indeed India have been sublime when i've encountered them.

So what're your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
In general but also specific forces if you please e.g. you trust the british police as a whole but not the met etc.

I mean personally not in the slightest, the met and TVP in particular whilst they have improved slightly in recent years they are still thoroughly unpleasant institutions i.e. racial profiling, abuse and so on. Not to mention they seem to be staffed by flunkys [at least the ones i've met and i've heard about whilst on the other hand the Police forces in NZL, Italy and indeed India have been sublime when i've encountered them.

That every day police officers put their lives on the line to protect me from scum and low lives and I'm grateful that they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Napp

It depends. There are people who join the police because they genuinely want to help people and make their neighbourhood slash city or country a safer place. Then there are those who do it because of the power it gives them, because it makes them feel better knowing that legally, you are obliged to follow their orders. It doesn't take much to guess who would be a good, fair cop and who would be the abusive d*ckhead of the day.
Oldest grandson is in the Met. Bullying, homophobia, racism is inherent in the Met.
Reply 4
Original post by Seamus123
Oldest grandson is in the Met. Bullying, homophobia, racism is inherent in the Met.

Fascinating, what does he have to say about it? The only instances i've ever encountered with the Met were less than pleasant and they just seemed to enjoy being able to make us do what ever they said.

Original post by Mother's Mercy
It depends. There are people who join the police because they genuinely want to help people and make their neighbourhood slash city or country a safer place. Then there are those who do it because of the power it gives them, because it makes them feel better knowing that legally, you are obliged to follow their orders. It doesn't take much to guess who would be a good, fair cop and who would be the abusive d*ckhead of the day.

Indeed, of course not all cops are *******s but one has encountered a disproportionate number of them, the country ones seem to be a lot better though than city ploddies.

Original post by gdunne42
That every day police officers put their lives on the line to protect me from scum and low lives and I'm grateful that they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To a point but you cant deny some are just *****.. for instance that delightful case of them more or less abusing a mentally disabled girl of what 10 i think? cuffed and shackled with a spit hood... disgraceful.
I would note only 17, if i recall correctly, havew actually lost their lives due to a suspects violence since 2000. Police work may be unpleasant but bare in mind Britain is relatively speaking very safe.
there isn't a lot to choose between the Met and TVP. He always wanted to be in the police, but let's just say he's been on the receiving end of a lot of ****. His bubble has been burst.
Reply 6
yes
they played a part in moving me to a new/different house when i had an injunction out against my ex as he kept trashing my house and harassing me
Yes.
Of course I do, one of my cousins is a policeman and of the few encounters I've had with the police they have always been caring and helpful
Reply 9
Yes. British policemen in my experience have been awesome.
Reply 10
Yes, more so than the people who tell me not to trust them.
Reply 11
Yes, I trust them not to arrest me when I am drunk in public
Yes. I've no reason not to.*
Absolutely.
Depends, I do believe some police officers go into the force for the wrong reasons- these are the ones you should avoid.
In this country I'd say I can mostly trust them. Yes there's some people who join for the wrong reasons & abuse their power but I think for British police this is a minority. No way would I trust the American police though.
Certainly not the MET. I'd wager that the London riots were an inside job and that the MET/MI5/Gov set up Mark Duggan as the fall guy and use that incident as the touch paper to fan the flames of the mayhem that followed. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the rioters were agent provocateurs also. Its been on the cards for a while; the elite want to create an overcrowded multiethnic tyranny to increase surveillance and global control.
Reply 17
I trust them, never had any issue with them and normally find if you're decent towards them they'll be decent back.
Around two thirds of the police I've encountered have been absolute scum-of-the-earth, power-hungry bastards. The other third have been very nice indeed (no in between at all).
So while I will judge every officer on an individual basis, on the whole, as an institution, no, I do not trust the police.
I would say I trust them, but if anything happened to me I wouldn't go and tell them because I don't think they would be able to deal with it. eg. if I got raped or attacked or something

It's not that I don't trust them but I don't feel like they have enough resources and/or care enough to follow through on things unless they're really important

I also think they've got better than they were in the past but I've never really had to deal with them personally apart from my uncle

Quick Reply

Latest