The Student Room Group

Dentistry Clearing

I have decided that i now do not want to do my chosen course for uni in 07/08(stupid i know). i was just wondering if anyone knows if you can get into dentistry by clearing and if so which unis take part in the clearing for dentistry.
Cheers
Reply 1
I don't think it was in clearing last year - and dentistry is quite competitive, similar to med and vet - so I doubt it'll be in clearing - could always apply during the 'gap year' that you would end up with if you really want to do dentistry.
Reply 2
I doubt that you will be able to find Dentistry in clearing, as mentioned above it is extremely competitive and most applicants will have relevant work experience etc..

There is a thread around in this subforum which shows last years clearing lists so you could have a look if it was in but I wouldnt hold your breath.

Best thing to do in my opinion is to take a gap year, get yourself some work experience, read some books and make sure it is definately what you want to do.

Best of luck :smile:
They're sometimes in clearing, just not the type of clearing you're thinking of. About this time now, universities have received all replies (i.e. whether the applicant has chosen to accept or decline the offer). If they receive less accepts than anticipated, then they may contact students that they rejected (interviewed) and currently hold no offers. This is rare, but I had heard of a few cases in previous years.
Reply 4
yeh i think ill have to end up taking a gap year even though i dont want to. I dont know what i will do with myself. what are ur opinions on gap years and do you think they are useful?
Reply 5
If you use them properly, then yes. If you're going to sit there watching daytime TV and the like, then no.

Basically, get as much work experience as you can etc. You're having a gap year because you're changing your mind about a course, so convince the Dentistry admissions that you're certain about the decision and that you're certain about wanting to be a dentist.
Reply 6
_-Arctic-Monkey-_
If you use them properly, then yes. If you're going to sit there watching daytime TV and the like, then no.

Basically, get as much work experience as you can etc. You're having a gap year because you're changing your mind about a course, so convince the Dentistry admissions that you're certain about the decision and that you're certain about wanting to be a dentist.

:ditto: Get as much work experience as you can and remember to take a note of what you learned from it, as this will be imperative to your personal statement/interview. Also read lots of books and read other successful personal statements for dentistry so you can get a good idea of what admissions tutors will be looking for :smile:
Say if you did take a gap year, are we taking the presumption that the potential candidate did very well in their ALEVELS?? (say they got rejections from uni to begin with) and then they'll need the further w/e and so on in their gap year in order for success? Or do you guys mean that if the candidate didn't do so well on their ALEVELS to take the year out to improve exams as well as the extra w/e? I'm just a little confused!
Mustard-man
They're sometimes in clearing, just not the type of clearing you're thinking of. About this time now, universities have received all replies (i.e. whether the applicant has chosen to accept or decline the offer). If they receive less accepts than anticipated, then they may contact students that they rejected (interviewed) and currently hold no offers. This is rare, but I had heard of a few cases in previous years.

right u are Mustard-man! 3 of my dent friends were called for phone-interview after they have received their IB exam results without going through clearing THIS year. n it's Liverpool university in which all 6 dental applicants at my college declined their offers. hoho
predicted grades are chem C, Bio B and psych A Do you guys think i can improve dem in A2 and get into dentistry? I hope i can.
AmazinglyBored
predicted grades are chem C, Bio B and psych A Do you guys think i can improve dem in A2 and get into dentistry? I hope i can.

You can push them up easily...just make sure u organise yourself and start revising early. Resits will make the A2 exams easier
7 years later.......how did it go?
Original post by akg654
I have decided that i now do not want to do my chosen course for uni in 07/08(stupid i know). i was just wondering if anyone knows if you can get into dentistry by clearing and if so which unis take part in the clearing for dentistry.
Cheers

Deciding to do dentistry on a whim...let me know how that goes for you.

Most people prepare over a year for their application and still have trouble getting in.

Quick Reply

Latest