Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Opening International Student Bank Account Help

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm going to start uni in the UK this September and I'm looking into opening my bank account for when I'm there. I've been reading and we need a proof of living that could be in utility bills and such, but those would only be available to me after I've lived there for a month?

    So I was wondering if there is anyone that can help me out clarifying the process and if they've gone through it what did you do?


    Please see below
    If you cant produce any of these you'll most likely have to wait and open one once you're here.
    If you have a house lined up here already though then any of the offical documents saying you will be living there should suffice failing that ask the land lord/agency.
    Good luck.
    What can I use as a valid proof of address to open a bank account?

    Utility bills
    a gas, water, electric, TV or landline phone bill (not mobile) that's less than three months old
    Local authority
    a council tax bill issued within the current financial year
    a UK bank statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)
    a UK credit card statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)
    a tenancy agreement or council rent book (must be current)
    a UK mortgage statement that's less than three months old (internet statements aren't acceptable)
    a catalogue or mail order statement that's less than three months old
    a hire purchase statement of account
    your pension book
    a UK photocard driving license with your current address and its full paper counterpart
    a medical card / NHS card
    a motor insurance or home insurance certificate that has been issued within the last 12 months

    proof of address:
    utilities bills or tenancy agreement from agent/landlord
    You can even ask your bank from home country to send you a statement as
    proof of address

    You'll be opening one once you are there I assume? In which case you will already have accommodation sorted, such as the uni halls. When you do that you sign a tenancy agreement which can be used for opening a bank account
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.