Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I do an EPQ?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

So basically I want to study languages/European studies ect at uni and I've just completed my AS Levels. My college gives me the chance to do an EPQ but I don't really want to do it because I already do quite a bit of extra-curricular stuff (eg. a French Literature class) I feel that an EPQ would take up time I don't have to spare and mean my A-Level results were not as good as they could be. I'm hoping to get at least ABB in my A-Levels. (fingers crossed lol)

My question is this: to gain a place studying languages at uni, would an EPQ help a lot or just a bit? Is it really worth all the stress?

I'm hoping to study MFL/European Languages at uni as well and have just finished my A2s and I did an EPQ also I would recommend doing the EPQ if you're going to do 3 A2 subjects as that's how many I did and I didn't feel that it impeded on my studies too much. In fact, I quite enjoyed it as I did it on Russia and the USSR so it gave me an idea of some of the things I could go on to study at university and it also helped me learn useful things such as referencing, time management and how to write a dissertation.As long as you stick to the schedule given to you, you should be fine, as me and my friend who did the EPQ stuck to it and were done well in time, especially since it was about a topic I was genuinely interested in. On the other hand, you could tell that some people were bored of their topics as they wouldn't bother to complete anything on time and fell behind.

My advice would be that as long as you pick a topic that you have an interest in, then it is worth it as it will be easier to write as you will actually want to go and find things out about your topic. Because of this, it didn't actually take me nearly as long as I thought it would.I got a lower offer from Sheffield for German and Russian if I get a B in the EPQ so it was definitely worth it

EDIT: I also gave up a lot of time to my part time job and still had enough time for studying and doing the EPQ. My offer is ABB or BBB with B in the EPQ. Also, I'm not an expert as I've not started uni yet, but I would assume that Languages at uni can be extremely essay based, especially if you pick history modules, so I would say that the EPQ would help in preparing you for this as well

An EPQ is to show you can understand beyond bachelor's level work i.e. research and so there is no reason why you can't research a topic in french literature for example, and incorporate and elaborate on the hard work you have done already!

It is best to know exactly what you need to do and to find some inspiration and passion for writing it and then it will be great for you.

Also why not study at the University of London in Paris!

You can study at King's London and go to places like SciencesPo, Ecole Normale Superieure, Sorbonne, Descartes for a year.

3 years in Paris or 1...

Also you can go from London to Paris for £20 with National Express and hostels are like £10 a night so you and some friends would get some great experience going to explore Paris..
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.