The Student Room Group

a levels self learn

Hi everybody,
Im sorry if this isnt the right section for the topic

I would like to ask for your opinion,
Im 30 yo, and would like to get into finance even if for few years, thing is i never really cared for things like career ,education etc. enough to get into it now.
Im afraid its basically like i will have to start from scratch..
Im not british, and havent got my education here. In my country i went and got degree something equivalent to BA here except you cant really compare this level of education in my country to a british university.
What i figured is getting degree here best option and for that i need a levels , so i thought of math ,bussiness studies, economic, psychology. And i would do it self -learning , while working and maybe also studying for aat.

My question is : Is that realistic? Because im motivated and optimistic about it but also know it will take huge amount of time to do it right.

Thank you in advance for replying
I can only answer this as an A-Level student- If you want to come out with good enough grades to go to uni at the end I don't think it's realistic (or possible?) to self-teach yourself all 4 subjects especially whilst working. I'd say either find information from a local adult college or find out other ways of doing courses that can contribute the requirements needed to get into Uni for your degree. Idk how it is for most people but generally A-levels are hard for most people not matter what you do- and most of us have spent our whole lives working towards them and don't work or have any other responsibilities and still do poorly lol. There must be other more accessible ways of getting your dream degree and career :smile:Don't give up and Good Luck!!
Yes! Maths is learning identities then basically matching what the question looks like and then following rules to get the equation to look right or to find the answer! It is still very difficult but you can achieve top grades! Don't do too much and keep the quality of your learning high and take breaks as a level requires skill :smile: make sure to consistently work throughout the year and listen mostly to yourself. Good luck!
I wouldn't bother doing four A levels. Three will get you into university, and you are likely to get higher grades doing 3 than 4. Before you commit yourself to a strenuous course of study, you should probably email the relevant admissions tutor at universities you like the look of, and ask them what they would require from you, given your current qualifications and work experience.
Original post by abyz
Hi everybody,
Im sorry if this isnt the right section for the topic

I would like to ask for your opinion,
Im 30 yo, and would like to get into finance even if for few years, thing is i never really cared for things like career ,education etc. enough to get into it now.
Im afraid its basically like i will have to start from scratch..
Im not british, and havent got my education here. In my country i went and got degree something equivalent to BA here except you cant really compare this level of education in my country to a british university.
What i figured is getting degree here best option and for that i need a levels , so i thought of math ,bussiness studies, economic, psychology. And i would do it self -learning , while working and maybe also studying for aat.

My question is : Is that realistic? Because im motivated and optimistic about it but also know it will take huge amount of time to do it right.

Thank you in advance for replying

How long have you lived in the Uk? You may be eligable for some funding.

As for the a-levels, there are some which require exams only and are cheaper to self learn than having to do coursework subjects. It can be done but that and a job which pretty much be your whole life.
You can definitely teach yourself A levels (I did this), it just requires a lot of motivation. Doing it while working may be difficult and may take you longer than the standard 2 years though. Universities only require 3 A levels, so I suggest only doing 3 rather than 4.

The best study materials are textbooks and the internet in my opinion. I wouldn't buy those expensive A level courses you can get on the internet. I tried them and they were a total waste of money. It's much easier to use textbooks catered for the exam board you're using.

Check that you can find exam centres to take your exams at (usually local schools) and check that the exam board you're using caters for private candidates.

If you want any more information on self studying for A levels, feel free to message me as I did it.

Also, there are other options for going to university without A levels if you're a mature student. Some colleges offer access courses. They would be worth looking into. Alternatively, it's possible to do a foundation year at some universities before you start your actual degree.
Reply 6
Hi there.
Although you don't think your degree is equivalent to a UK degree, I would be very surprised if it is not at least equivalent to A levels.
I would contact the admissions office at the university/universities you wish to attend and have a conversation about the courses you wish to apply for. You may find you are already qualified to apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you everybody for sharing info and your opinion on this i really appreciate it.Ive just started checking these foundation year courses, its pretty expensive from what i see , still its an option..

Original post by skeptical_john
How long have you lived in the Uk? You may be eligable for some funding.

Would be over 6 years,right now i know im not eligible for tuition fee loan ,thanks to taking education when i still lived in my country (worst move i ever made)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending