The Student Room Group

A Level Choices

In the future I wish to become an Accountant and wish to study Accountancy or Accountancy and Mathematics at University. For my A Level options, I had originally picked A Level Maths, A Level Computer Science, BTEC Business and BTEC Engineering.

After submitting these to my teachers I was told I was unable to study Computer Science as it overlaps with Maths. So instead of picking Computer Science I opted for BTEC ICT which would give me 3 BTEC's and 1 A Level, which I was not happy about.

My school sixth form has links with a sixth form college which allows other courses to be studied. I then wanted to study two A Levels and two BTECs. I am keeping Maths, Business and Engineering however I am contemplating on studying:

Government & Politics (An area which I find interesting)
Physics (Only if I receive a good grade at GCSE)
Law (This can link in with being an Accountant)
or Further Maths (This as a last resort which would mean 50% of my studies would be mathematics and also I would be unsure about taking as I may find Maths hard)

Could someone give me advice on which would be the best solution as I really want to become an Accountant and wish to purse the University route and complete training after my degree.
Look at the entry requirements for your course and make sure you can meet them with your choices.
Original post by 11LOrmston
In the future I wish to become an Accountant and wish to study Accountancy or Accountancy and Mathematics at University. For my A Level options, I had originally picked A Level Maths, A Level Computer Science, BTEC Business and BTEC Engineering.

After submitting these to my teachers I was told I was unable to study Computer Science as it overlaps with Maths. So instead of picking Computer Science I opted for BTEC ICT which would give me 3 BTEC's and 1 A Level, which I was not happy about.

My school sixth form has links with a sixth form college which allows other courses to be studied. I then wanted to study two A Levels and two BTECs. I am keeping Maths, Business and Engineering however I am contemplating on studying:

Government & Politics (An area which I find interesting)
Physics (Only if I receive a good grade at GCSE)
Law (This can link in with being an Accountant)
or Further Maths (This as a last resort which would mean 50% of my studies would be mathematics and also I would be unsure about taking as I may find Maths hard)

Could someone give me advice on which would be the best solution as I really want to become an Accountant and wish to purse the University route and complete training after my degree.

Have you had a look in our Accounting and Finance uni course forum? There's loads of great advice in there :smile:
Reply 3
Stay away from BTECs if you want to enter a highly regarded university, as everyone else will offer maths, economics and something else. Just speaking from experience
Reply 4
Cut back a bit. Do 1 BTEC and your A levels. Make sure you get A level maths in there, economics too. BTEC is not very good for accounting because it rarely involves maths. And all the coursework may get too much for you and you may neglect your A levels. It's better to take a few things and do well rather than take many and do okay with them.

Also look at the specific universities you would want to attend and check entry requirements. Some don't even accept BTEC or want A/A* in maths on top. Make sure you can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest