The Student Room Group

Second Graduate in Physics at OXFORD ?

Hello,

I have completed my undergraduate of aeronautical engineering in India. However my interest is surged towards physics, for which am ready to do a second undergraduate degree in physics. I started preparing for PAT exam and oxford policies says applicants for the second undergraduate also should apply the same as others. I want to know what are my chances of getting into OXFORD physics.

If anyone has got through second undergraduate in physics to OXFORD please share your experiences here.

Thanks
I don't know much about physics or aeronautical engineering, but would it not be possible to do a postgraduate degree in physics with an engineering degree? It would be much cheaper.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that you will find anyone on this forum who did a second undergraduate degree in physics at Oxford (or any other university), UK students can't get student loans for a second degree and few people can afford university without loans, so it is uncommon to say the least.

It is true that you apply to through UCAS like any other applicant. UCAS starts accepting applications for the 2017 entry from September 6th. You can find more information about the application process here. I believe students who already have a degree can, if they wish, apply for 'senior status' which means you skip the first year of your Oxford degree. Assuming you got a good grade in your engineering degree and you write a good personal statement, your chances of being asked for an interview are good, but it is impossible to accurately predict your chance of getting in.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I don't know much about physics or aeronautical engineering, but would it not be possible to do a postgraduate degree in physics with an engineering degree? It would be much cheaper.

It is extraordinarily unlikely that you will find anyone on this forum who did a second undergraduate degree in physics at Oxford (or any other university), UK students can't get student loans for a second degree and few people can afford university without loans, so it is uncommon to say the least.

It is true that you apply to through UCAS like any other applicant. UCAS starts accepting applications for the 2017 entry from September 6th. You can find more information about the application process here. I believe students who already have a degree can, if they wish, apply for 'senior status' which means you skip the first year of your Oxford degree. Assuming you got a good grade in your engineering degree and you write a good personal statement, your chances of being asked for an interview are good, but it is impossible to accurately predict your chance of getting in.

Thank you for the reply. My undergraduate in aeronautical engineering ended with a CGPA/percentage of 75%.
Reply 3
Original post by vasanthk
Thank you for the reply. My undergraduate in aeronautical engineering ended with a CGPA/percentage of 75%.

You presumably will still have to put this on your ucas whether you're applying for graduate or undergraduate study. If you don't think you'll be accepted for graduate study, i don't think your chances are better for undergraduate.

Quick Reply