The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reachin4TheStars
Not sure whether it's legal or not, but I wouldn't say it's freedom of speech/expression because such an action is showing hatred to a certain group of people, so yeah. You are free to express yourself but preferably not in that sort of way. :smile:

Of course it is. It's religious hatred.
Reply 22
It is probably illegal but the question is will the perpetrator ever see a courtroom? Receive a fine? Er No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AperfectBalance
Burn as many as you want. burn as many bibles Qurans what ever you want burn it.

Burn 100 burn 1000s and the only bad thing you will be doing is creating a fire hazard.

It is perfectly legal and morally it is no different from burning a fictional book

Original post by NickLCFC
You might get in some trouble if you were burning it to deliberately provoke people. However, apart from that, I'd say go ahead and burn away. It's definitely a book that deserves to be burned as far as I'm concerned.

It is authentically reported in Sahih Al-Bukhari, under the chapter titled "Compiling the Qur’an", that Uthman ibn Affan (may Allah be pleased with him) ordered four of the best reciters among the Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) to transcribe several copies of the Mus-haf (manuscript of the Qur’an), which was compiled into one manuscript by the command of Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with them). When they finished Uthman sent a copy of the transcribed Mus-haf to every territory. He also ordered that any other written records of the Qur’an be burnt. None among the Sahabah objected.

Islamically, the ways to dispose the Quran are:

---Burning it
---Wrapped in a piece of cloth and buried, or
---Disposed of in a flowing river.

Only retards would burn the quran, because they don't know that it is islamically correct to burn a Quran when to be disposed of. And only illiterate muslims would be distressed by the burning of Quran.
However, it all lies in the intention of the person. And the intention causes the problem
(edited 7 years ago)
You could but be prepared to come underfire
burning the Quran may infringe climate change regulations:
It could count as Arson if the fire is not managed properly

Spoiler

since you would not be expressing hatred for any people that should be legal
Reply 28
I would not burn another religion's scripture on purpose, I don't see how it will benefit me and why would I want to disrespect like that. I have to not be in my senses to do that :s-smilie:
Highly ironic that Muslims believe that non-believers will suffer the fire of hell for eternity, but nonetheless believe it is deeply disrespectful to burn a book that has such an abhorrent ideology.
Original post by Onde
Highly ironic that Muslims believe that non-believers will suffer the fire of hell for eternity, but nonetheless believe it is deeply disrespectful to burn a book that has such an abhorrent ideology.

There will be 2 types of people that will enter heaven on the day of judgement:
---Those who are devout muslims
---And those who have done good deeds on this earth.

It is not for me to judge who will enter heaven. But it is clear according to Sahih Hadith that on the day of judgement the muslims will be divided into 73 sects. Yet only 1 of those sects will go to heaven. Clearly ~98% of muslims too will go to hell(well we don't really know the sixes of those sects).
So yes, even good non-muslims will go to heaven(god willing) and devout muslims. And a lot of muslims will go to hell as well as a lot of non-muslims.

Muslims also believe that Jews and Christians who correctly followed their books and their prophets(Jesus and Moses) will also go to heaven.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingYusHalo
There will be 2 types of people that will enter heaven on the day of judgement:
Those who are devout muslims
And those who have done good deeds on this earth.

It is not for me to judge who will enter heaven. But it is clear according to Sahih Hadith that on the day of judgement the muslims will be divided into 73 sects. Yet only 1 of those sects will go to heaven. Clearly ~98% of muslims too will go to hell(well we don't really know the sixes of those sects).
So yes, even good non-muslims will go to heaven(god willing) and devout muslims. And a lot of muslims will go to hell as well as a lot of non-muslims.

Muslims also believe that Jews and Christians who correctly followed their books will also go to heaven.

It seems rather petty to complain about the burning of some book when such evil views are commonly held.
Original post by Onde
It seems rather petty to complain about the burning of some book when such evil views are commonly held.

When was I complaining? Read my previous post:

It is authentically reported in Sahih Al-Bukhari, under the chapter titled "Compiling the Qur’an", that Uthman ibn Affan (may Allah be pleased with him) ordered four of the best reciters among the Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) to transcribe several copies of the Mus-haf (manuscript of the Qur’an), which was compiled into one manuscript by the command of Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with them). When they finished Uthman sent a copy of the transcribed Mus-haf to every territory. He also ordered that any other written records of the Qur’an be burnt. None among the Sahabah objected.

Islamically, the ways to dispose the Quran are:

---Burning it
---Wrapped in a piece of cloth and buried, or
---Disposed of in a flowing river.

Only retards would burn the quran, because they don't know that it is islamically correct to burn a Quran when to be disposed of. And only illiterate muslims would be distressed by the burning of Quran.
However, it all lies in the intention of the person. And the intention causes the problem
I don't know why anyone would do it?
Not sure how some people are surprised by the fact it will offend certain people.

It's like pissing on a grave and then wonder why their relatives may be upset.. :rolleyes:
When was I complaining? Read my previous post:

I was talking about Muslims in general: those who believe that eternal torture is acceptable.
Reply 36
Original post by Zerforax
Not sure how some people are surprised by the fact it will offend certain people.

It's like pissing on a grave and then wonder why their relatives may be upset.. :rolleyes:

I think most people arguing for the legality of burning a Quran agree that it will offend some people, myself included. I believe the main argument is, essentially, 'So what? Deal with it'. Freedom of speech and the right to offend are two attributes that I value extremely highly.

It can sometimes feel to me like religion gets a protective bubble when it comes to offence, which I find rather frustrating.
Original post by Onde
I was talking about Muslims in general: those who believe that eternal torture is acceptable.

Are you Christian?
Are you Christian?

No.
Original post by SH0405
I think most people arguing for the legality of burning a Quran agree that it will offend some people, myself included. I believe the main argument is, essentially, 'So what? Deal with it'. Freedom of speech and the right to offend are two attributes that I value extremely highly.

It can sometimes feel to me like religion gets a protective bubble when it comes to offence, which I find rather frustrating.

Well I don't think the right to offend is enshrined in any form of human rights :rolleyes:

What exactly are you gaining by being offensive and disrespectful to others?

Put another way, what's the difference between your attitude of "I can offend - so what?" and the ISIS members who shout "death to all infidels in the West"?

Latest

Trending

Trending