The Student Room Group

Year 11s - When did you start revising for GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'll start light revision in August (about an hour each day excluding weekends)
Currently a Year 12 student moving into Year 13 this September.

I started to write my notes for the more memory based subjects back in January (e.g. Religious Studies, Latin and Biology) but I didn't finish them for most subjects until April as I drew out my revision note making. Past papers I started doing from February/March, heavy revision from late March onwards.

I could never bother to do any past papers for English Literature and I only got the grade that I did by 'hitting the jackpot' (i.e. the characters/theme/poem that I made good/proper notes for all turned up in the actual exam).
Reply 22
Original post by luciie
Since there's been quite a few year 10s on here asking when they should start, I thought it would just be easier to make a thread like this so they would get a general idea of when others started.

I started making resources in January but properly started revising in April.

ok guys do not copy me but for some of my GCSE's i revised the day before...and i actually found the exams good but I would NOT advice this for anyone.its not like im a bad student or anything because i usually get A's and A*s with the occasional B, i think its because im so used for revising the day before for mocks and getting good grades that i did it for the real thing, man i took mocks more seriously than the actual GCSE. truth be told GCSE's are relatively easy. im not exactly a clever clogs but i still managed to retain information for a subject as it is not difficult to understand, if you start early, you will definately be ok, but seriously start revising at christmas(seriusly revise in easter, like seriously) 'cause if you do there is seriously nothing to worry about. it pains me, because i know that i could have gotten straight A*s if only i revised earlier but now my results are going to be average...DOT BE LIKE ME, REVISE EARLY, REVISE YOUR SYLLABUS AHEAD, i dunno about you but my teachers were bad.
anyways for your coursework and ISA's i advice you to try very hard in them as they are about a solid 25%-40% of your GCSE, i got 100% in most of my ISA's and they are just so important because they are so easy! this is the part you dont want to mess up!! Oh and another piece of advice, unless you are getting like c's and d's in your sciences DO NOT TAKE DOUBLE AWARD SCIENCE, its not worth it, the highest grade in double award science is an AA which is equal to a B in triple award science, i think thats enough evidence that its not a good idea
im sorry for posting such a long message but i do hope that this is helpful!
Best time would be Nov/Dec/new year otherwise March/April...hard core.

Quick Reply

Latest