The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Leeds or LSE?

Hi everyone,

I have firmed LSE to study history this year, but I'm now having second doubts. This is because I'm worried about my finances, and employment prospects if I study history.

After being rejected by Leeds to study Economics and History, I found their course in clearing, and would still really like to go. I enjoy economics, and it may be more beneficial in terms of employment prospects. The cost of living would also be lower.

However, the prestige of LSE makes me think it'd be foolish to get released by them (providing I get the grades), and was wondering if a degree from LSE would stand me in better stead, even if it was in History.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by weaselvomit
Hi everyone,

I have firmed LSE to study history this year, but I'm now having second doubts. This is because I'm worried about my finances, and employment prospects if I study history.

After being rejected by Leeds to study Economics and History, I found their course in clearing, and would still really like to go. I enjoy economics, and it may be more beneficial in terms of employment prospects. The cost of living would also be lower.

However, the prestige of LSE makes me think it'd be foolish to get released by them (providing I get the grades), and was wondering if a degree from LSE would stand me in better stead, even if it was in History.

Are you crazy?

Pick LSE a million times over. Leeds doesnt even come anywhere close to prestige & lifetime career benefits going to LSE will give you.

Also, when you to go to Top 5 uni like LSE (and Imperial & Oxbridge), demand from employers for candidates from these unis is so high degree you do doesnt really matter.

if you dont pick LSE, grantee it will be the biggest regret of your life.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Thanks for the Reply Nightmare Abyss,

I get that LSE is very prestigious and statistically will land me a decent job, but aren't the stats distorted by the more mathsy degrees? If I'm doing History, I fear it won't be the same.

Furthermore, Leeds will offer me a placement year, increasing job prospects, plus doing economics opens a whole new branch of jobs - nice to have considering I dont know what I want to do in the future.

Though I get what you mean, I wont get an LSE offer again.
Thanks for the Reply Nightmare Abyss,

I get that LSE is very prestigious and statistically will land me a decent job, but aren't the stats distorted by the more mathsy degrees? If I'm doing History, I fear it won't be the same.

Furthermore, Leeds will offer me a placement year, increasing job prospects, plus doing economics opens a whole new branch of jobs - nice to have considering I dont know what I want to do in the future.

Though I get what you mean, I wont get an LSE offer again.

No. You'll still have the same career opportunities even if you do a history degree. Which jobs are opened by doing economics? You can get into finance/banking/accounting with a history degree as well. It's the university brand that matters, not the course,
Obviously LSE.

I'm going to Leeds and would still pick LSE. Regretting not applying there for geography, but my family threatened to not provide any financial support if I did a geography degree :frown:
Reply 5
True, but it could be a whole lot harder to get into those professions with a history degree. Surely there's an advantage to a joint economics/history degree?
Well. The course matters a teeny bit, no? Economics would demonstrate my mathematical capabilites, which history alone couldn't do.
Reply 6
Original post by Peppercrunch
Obviously LSE.

I'm going to Leeds and would still pick LSE. Regretting not applying there for geography, but my family threatened to not provide any financial support if I did a geography degree :frown:

Financial strains of London are also turning me off. Is the LSE name worth being plunged into greater debt?
Financial strains of London are also turning me off. Is the LSE name worth being plunged into greater debt?

Yeah. You'll get a greater maintenance loan and LSE should have some grants for students.

It just means you'll pay for longer, but your student debt gets wiped out in 30 years.
Dude are you serious? Obviously stick with LSE.

LSE has the highest average graduate salary in the country.

I would pick any degree from LSE over any degree from Leeds.
LSE has a worldwide reputation for excellence and Leeds is a pretty internal uni. Leeds is good, and people enjoy it. If the student experience is more important than your prospects after I'd say it's worth considering... but LSE is in another league, and if job prospects are your main motivation then 100% LSE. Your degree choice won't really matter tbh as most history graduates do grad schemes to move into other areas anyway. LSE will open more doors for you than Leeds.
LSE is prestigious because of the way it teaches students, across all courses. There certainly seems to be a strong vibe of self-teaching, which requires dedication, commitment, hard work, and a genuine interest in the subject.

Employers know that students of the LSE are among the best-taught in their field, both in terms of knowledge and skills developed.

I'm doing the IR and History course, and whilst I considered Oxford, I decided their course wasn't for me as it was more focused on general politics, where as I wanted to explore IR. However, the employment opportunities are often better than at other universities. History isn't always the most employable; however for me at least, I know the FCO would value the degree and skills gained from an LSE education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

LSE is far, far better.
Reply 12
Hi everyone,

LSE is more prestigious and has a much better ranking on CUG league tables. But don't forget to take the location and student satisfaction into account too!

Couldn't help but sigh at the other responses of this thread.

The course is definitely what matters here. People are stating that the job prospects studying Economics and History are the same as History are, quite frankly, naive. For example, you'll rule yourself out of any job that requires quantitative skills, which is far broader than just banking (includes market research, statistical/economic consultancy etc.) And I think the opportunity to do a placement year isn't something to take lightly - particularly if it's something in a field related to what you want to go into in the future. You might even be offered a job on the back of it.

People talking about graduate schemes probably aren't aware that only a very small minority of graduates get employed through official graduate schemes from large companies. The stats about LSE starting salaries are skewed by the bankers/consultants working in London. Naturally, any London university has an advantage over graduate starting salary, since many students choose to find employment here.

Ignore everyone saying you should focus purely on prestige. LSE has one of the lowest student satisfaction scores for a reason. The workload is incredibly intense compared to other universities, and balancing a social life can become very difficult. And the quality of teaching varies a lot.

The students I know who thrive and do well are the ones that love their course and/or are heavily involved in societies/social life. Really consider the modules that are on offer as well, as I know LSE doesn't always have a lot of choice (although I don't know a lot about History).

That being said, it's not all bad here. LSE does have a fantastic careers service and runs lots of workshops focusing on assessment centres/interview technique/mock interviews etc. But it's not like you're guaranteed a graduate job just from going to LSE. There's also some really great societies and opportunities here but, from my experience, you're often too busy with coursework to be able to make the most of them!

Also I've experienced life in both cities, so feel free to PM if you want any more advice :smile:
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
LSE is prestigious because of the way it teaches students, across all courses. There certainly seems to be a strong vibe of self-teaching, which requires dedication, commitment, hard work, and a genuine interest in the subject.

Employers know that students of the LSE are among the best-taught in their field, both in terms of knowledge and skills developed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Except they're not, because the student satisfaction for teaching quality is consistently low at LSE. I noticed on another thread you're not actually at LSE yet, so no disrespect but you can't exactly make these claims until you've experienced it for yourself :smile:
Original post by Nightmare Abyss

if you dont pick LSE, grantee it will be the biggest regret of your life.

Meh, I've met plenty of people who have regretted choosing LSE. It's not for everyone.
Idk op I feel as if you really want to study the course at Leeds judging from your responses. If I were in your shoes tho I would probably stick with LSE just because it's an amazing uni in an amazing city.
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
Except they're not, because the student satisfaction for teaching quality is consistently low at LSE. I noticed on another thread you're not actually at LSE yet, so no disrespect but you can't exactly make these claims until you've experienced it for yourself :smile:

I'm going based on the vibes I gathered when visiting and from what I've heard from others studying there.

I'm worried about the quality of teaching if I'm honest, based on what I keep hearing as a repeated pattern, but the skills of independent research are valuable, which itself (albeit in my opinion) would make the education valuable. But yeah I'm not going to attempt to deny what you're saying, just my opinions from my experiences - obviously you'll know much more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couldn't help but sigh at the other responses of this thread.

The course is definitely what matters here. People are stating that the job prospects studying Economics and History are the same as History are, quite frankly, naive. For example, you'll rule yourself out of any job that requires quantitative skills, which is far broader than just banking (includes market research, statistical/economic consultancy etc.) And I think the opportunity to do a placement year isn't something to take lightly - particularly if it's something in a field related to what you want to go into in the future. You might even be offered a job on the back of it.

The LSE 100 course (mandatory for all LSE undergrads) ensures that people gain both quantitative and qualitative skills no matter what course you choose to study, and therefore an LSE student will be a well-rounded one. Plus there is always the option to choose outside modules. I know Social Policy students doing Maths modules, for example.

If you want to get into IB/in the City, choose LSE for sure. LSE has an excellent record for getting people into the financial sector and can provide help for you like virtually no other university.

I will 100% agree that it is not for everybody. As one of the best universities in this country, the work is demanding and you will be forced to work hard. However, the benefits of studying at such an institution are great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Meh, I've met plenty of people who have regretted choosing LSE. It's not for everyone.

Are you one of those who have regretted studying in LSE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending