The Student Room Group
Well, some women do get upset if you open doors for them or offer to pay for their meal. Although I think it would be more accurate to say that radical feminists killed chivalry. Not necessarily women as a group, or even moderate feminists.
(edited 7 years ago)
I hope we didn't :/ No there are extremists who go crazy if a guy helps them out. I know that I am able to perform as well as guys, but if they are chivalrous sure let them.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, some women do get upset if you open doors for them or offer to pay for their meal. Although I think it would be more accurate to say that radical feminists killed chivalry. Not necessarily women as a group, or even moderate feminists.

Spongebob on the left = Western women before the 1960s

Internets = Feminism

Spongebob on the right = Western women today
I think it's probably mutual consent.

Chivalry actually demanded something of men, whereas now we can get girls without doing too much. So, easier sex for blokes. Why do something difficult if you can get the same thing for 10% of the effort?

Also, girls have many reasons for not wanting to be treated in a 'chivalrous' manner, from equality, sometimes low self-esteem, and other reasons perhaps.

Again, it's one of those issues that used to be clear cut but now it's just so muddy most blokes can't be arsed.

Some girls love it. Some girls don't. We have no idea of knowing which you are, so most of us just don't bother with it.

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys are also growing up now to realise that women are much more equal to men than they ever were. Therefore, men want full reasons as to why they should open doors, pay for dates, give them their jackets when women know how to use doors, also have jobs and jackets.

Several people will also happily admit that some women are stronger than men, some men are more sensitive than women etc etc.

As men and women become more equal, the traditional ways of chivalry have died down, and women accept it, and men don't offer it. Instead women nowadays are advised against expecting chivalry i.e. on the tube in the morning, several women wear flat shoes because they know that a seat will not be offered to them unless they are pregnant, old or disabled.

I even saw a couple on the tube where the woman was standing and the man was sitting on the seat. And then when they got off, he perfectly hopped off the tube (nothing was physically wrong with him that I could see).
Some women don't like chivalry.
I don't think its dead. Obviously an upper class gentleman from the 18th century would have treated women a bit differently but there were many strict etiquette rules back that have since relaxed. Not just between men and women.

I agree with Prince Phillip "If you see a man opening a car door for a woman, it means one of two things: it's either a new woman or a new car!"

I think women, for the most part, still love what are perceived as chivalrous acts. Pulling out chairs, carrying bags, paying, giving your coat, opening doors etc. It makes women feel special and they like that.

I agree with the guy above who said its more mutual consent. Obviously it is an effort for men so if women don't appreciate it, why bother? But I think women do still appreciate them and lazy men are looking for an excuse.Why bother if they don't appreciate it becomes why bother if it isn't expected.
Reply 8
Yes because of the filth of feminism.
Is all that pulling chairs out thing chivalry tho?

I thought it was all King Arthur type stuff
Chivalry ain't dead because I ain't letting it happen.
It never existed, and it isn't desirable.
If women are equal why then would I put any effort into treating them differently. Also I see a loto of people on Facebook but doing nothing then posting one picture. Not really much of a life everyone's living these days! Haha I'm very young to be saying this I just never used a phone because they were unfeasible and I didn't waste my time not talking to people. I can see a correlation between using the phone and being successful to be honest wiv ya
Chivalry doesn't exist in the first place, it's just being polite and having manners which any decent human being would have
Reply 14
its not dead though, men hold doors open for me every day... and I always thank them for it
Chivalry is dead, because we don't live under feudalism lmao
Original post by bones-mccoy
Chivalry doesn't exist in the first place, it's just being polite and having manners which any decent human being would have

Absolutely. Surely men open doors for men too: women stand up for other women and men - especially if they are elderly.
Reply 17
I think age and generation also plays a part....
Did anybody see the older couple on first dates, when the man asked the woman to "stick another tenner" on the bill? :ahhhhh:She was not impressed!!

But i think now, we're more equal and it's all about being polite, having manners and respect!! Regardless of gender :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending