The Student Room Group

is it worth mentioning to my Universities that I had ADHD

I hate people that whine about life, So personally I cant be bothered, but my head teacher said i should

Over this school year I had a lot difficulties, whether whether it was sleeping issues, not being able to focus in class, making careless mistakes and having to take a *** load of stimulants to study. Worst of all I could never think clearly in exams, I would have lots random thooughts(mental hyperactivity) whenever trying to do them.

Over summer i went to have a physciatric assement and got told i had "Severe" ADHD and have started a treatment programme of medication, CBT etc. Most of my teachers said my symptoms where obvious (one actually assumed I knew i had ADHD and already had it treated)

In spite of this Im still expecting good grades but it doesnt change the fact that i was studying with a cognitive impairment.

Should I mention in somehow or will it make me seem like a whiner?
If it is likely to have a negative impact on your studies it would certainly help if they are made aware of it so if problems arise they can support you.
Reply 2
Original post by rainbow.panda
If it is likely to have a negative impact on your studies it would certainly help if they are made aware of it so if problems arise they can support you.

Of course theres that element to it
But im thinking more so in terms of results day and actually getting accepted into university
Original post by Mvpmb
Of course theres that element to it
But im thinking more so in terms of results day and actually getting accepted into university

Have you made a UCAS application yet? It's been quite a while since I did mine so I can't remember what I had to include on it, but I'm fairly sure it gives you the opportunity to mention any physical or mental disabilities you have.
Original post by Mvpmb
I hate people that whine about life, So personally I cant be bothered, but my head teacher said i should

Over this school year I had a lot difficulties, whether whether it was sleeping issues, not being able to focus in class, making careless mistakes and having to take a *** load of stimulants to study. Worst of all I could never think clearly in exams, I would have lots random thooughts(mental hyperactivity) whenever trying to do them.

Over summer i went to have a physciatric assement and got told i had "Severe" ADHD and have started a treatment programme of medication, CBT etc. Most of my teachers said my symptoms where obvious (one actually assumed I knew i had ADHD and already had it treated)

In spite of this Im still expecting good grades but it doesnt change the fact that i was studying with a cognitive impairment.

Should I mention in somehow or will it make me seem like a whiner?

Well clearly you have either a mental or learning difficulty, and unis have special funding for all of this and can help you a lot.

So you really should tell them about. Because if you went into an exam and then messed up and didn't apply for mitigating circumstances beforehand, you can jeopardize your results. Also if you declare you have ADHD, you will be allowed extra time in your exams and things like this.

Have you applied for DSA? I would if I were you, you can get lots of freebies like new laptop, a high-end recorder that you can use in lecturers, a scribe, etc. All of these are dependent on individual cases, but I would milk the uni dry since you're paying so much money for to go, you should use their resources as best as possible!
Reply 5
Of course.

It is VERY important that you 'mention' it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending