The Student Room Group

UK MFTS Pipelines

The current slides detailing the flying training pipelines (RAF) are out of date - the detailed one is from 2011, and there is an updated one from 2014 which only has the number of weeks each stage takes. I found a FOI request from 2015 which details the Fast Jet pipeline, but not Rotary/Multi. (All are attached)

For example, I know that EFT has moved to Wittering but its not detailed anywhere unless you find some news articles.

I know this is in the process of changing as Ascent begin to implement their new package, and that obviously they're getting a load of new aircraft soon so it'll probably change again soon. However, if anyone has any more up to date info, either from recent experience or if they're from the process, i'd be grateful for some accuracy. I know in my last interview I got some extra marks for rattling the hours and weeks off - every little helps right?https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417879/20150311-FOI-01923-Flying-Training.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I made this with the latest information that I could find added to it pulled from the FOI request and the 2014 ppt.

Any corrections or additions fire away.
Original post by jannisjr
The current slides detailing the flying training pipelines (RAF) are out of date - the detailed one is from 2011, and there is an updated one from 2014 which only has the number of weeks each stage takes. I found a FOI request from 2015 which details the Fast Jet pipeline, but not Rotary/Multi. (All are attached)

For example, I know that EFT has moved to Wittering but its not detailed anywhere unless you find some news articles.

I know this is in the process of changing as Ascent begin to implement their new package, and that obviously they're getting a load of new aircraft soon so it'll probably change again soon. However, if anyone has any more up to date info, either from recent experience or if they're from the process, i'd be grateful for some accuracy. I know in my last interview I got some extra marks for rattling the hours and weeks off - every little helps right?https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417879/20150311-FOI-01923-Flying-Training.pdf

EFT is at Cranwell and Wittering. 57(R) at Cranwell and 16(R) at Wittering. EFT is now a 42 hour/24 week week course post SDSR I believe.

BFJT is pretty much spot on. I have 120 hours in my notes as appose to 124 but I suppose that can be marginally fluid. 36 hours of BFJT is in the sim.

Are you already serving? There's some handy documents floating around if you're willing to spend time digging. I will have a lot more info mid-September as I'm doing various station/squadron visits and can ask the relevant questions directly.
Reply 3
Not already serving, going through the process for the third time - I was PMU, but had surgery to fix the problem.

Thanks for the info on EFT, ill add it to my notes. The BFJT times were taken from the FOI request in my first post which is from March 2015, so its pre-SDSR but more up to date than the powerpoint slides.

To be fair, I don't think they're gonna pin you for not having 100% correct info, but if there's people on here like yourself who are in the know, why not ask the question?

If you find any more accurate info, I'd be grateful if you can pass it across so I have it in time for OASC.
Original post by jannisjr
Not already serving, going through the process for the third time - I was PMU, but had surgery to fix the problem.

Thanks for the info on EFT, ill add it to my notes. The BFJT times were taken from the FOI request in my first post which is from March 2015, so its pre-SDSR but more up to date than the powerpoint slides.

To be fair, I don't think they're gonna pin you for not having 100% correct info, but if there's people on here like yourself who are in the know, why not ask the question?

If you find any more accurate info, I'd be grateful if you can pass it across so I have it in time for OASC.

Glad to hear you're back in the process.

No problem. I've been struggling to collate all the info and have been getting awfully confused but I'm just getting to the stage now where it's all starting to fall into place. As always, it's best to speak to those who are currently doing what you want to find out about.

I'll let you know if I find anything more detailed.
Reply 5
Worth noting that the Army pilot training is undergoing a large change in the next couple of years with a change of location and aircraft which is already having an effect on the pipeline.
Reply 6
Original post by NFI
Worth noting that the Army pilot training is undergoing a large change in the next couple of years with a change of location and aircraft which is already having an effect on the pipeline.

Army and RN flying training is included in 'MFTS'.
Reply 7
All that lovely tri-service goodness!
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Army and RN flying training is included in 'MFTS'.

I suppose now would be a good time to lay down how the Army is selling MFTS to the AAC and students then 🌝

From April 2018 the training pipeline will be EFT at Cranwell followed by rotary at Shawbury on the EC135, including some form of 'Operational Tactics Phase' to replace the OTP currently being run at Middle Wallop. From there students will go onto CTT and CTR at the relevant location for their platform.

Naturally this is all subject to change and no doubt will do so between now and March 31st 2018, as well as the 'hybrid' courses that will happen between now and that date too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NFI
I suppose now would be a good time to lay down how the Army is selling MFTS to the AAC and students then 🌝

From April 2018 the training pipeline will be EFT at Cranwell followed by rotary at Shawbury on the EC135, including some form of 'Operational Tactics Phase' to replace the OTP currently being run at Middle Wallop. From there students will go onto CTT and CTR at the relevant location for their platform.

Naturally this is all subject to change and no doubt will do so between now and March 31st 2018, as well as the 'hybrid' courses that will happen between now and that date too.

Expect Cranwell to actually be Barkston (again) for the RN & AAC.

Just to confirm the previous post, EFT is now just 42hrs (for everyone, regardless of previous experience).*

Quick Reply

Latest