The Student Room Group

Electrical Engineering

Hello

I have been looking at two types of engineering and although I best suit civil engineering for the university side I do not want a job managing people and never doing hands on work myself, this leaves the other industry which is electrical.

I am wondering how hard electrical engineering is to get the degree and also if I fail getting the full degree will I still return with a qualification if I have passed year one or year one and two ?

Thanks
Original post by McGowan123
Hello

I have been looking at two types of engineering and although I best suit civil engineering for the university side I do not want a job managing people and never doing hands on work myself, this leaves the other industry which is electrical.

I am wondering how hard electrical engineering is to get the degree and also if I fail getting the full degree will I still return with a qualification if I have passed year one or year one and two ?

Thanks

If you want to do hands on work, then an apprenticeship is likely your best avenue, rather than the degree route.

Electrical engineering - like all engineering degrees - is definitely a difficult and full on degree. However, if you work hard during your studies and are adequately prepared for it (which, if you meet the entry requirements, you probably are) you are very likely to complete the course.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
If you want to do hands on work, then an apprenticeship is likely your best avenue, rather than the degree route.

Electrical engineering - like all engineering degrees - is definitely a difficult and full on degree. However, if you work hard during your studies and are adequately prepared for it (which, if you meet the entry requirements, you probably are) you are very likely to complete the course.

Great Advice thank you

all I have to my name is a A-Level in design technology so my odds in getting into an apprenticeship scheme are slim, I am currently a retail manager but this has no relevance to electrical engineering and it may be hard for a company to see that I would kill for the opportunity to try an apprenticeship and that I would outshine any school leaver as I know what it is like to be an adult with no opportunity to grow or get educated.

I may need to drop from my position to maybe a 20 hour supervisor to do a HNC for a year in electrical engineering. but where to start with this path I do not know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending