The Student Room Group

Top Programming Languages 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cipi
Well it is important - career choices etc. Wanna end up in gaming? c++. Embedded? C. Desktop apps - C#.

Rubbish. If you understand the concepts then it is easy to pick up any new language.
Reply 21
Original post by marioman
Rubbish. If you understand the concepts then it is easy to pick up any new language.

LOL - maybe if you know C#/Java you can pick up python straight away, but say c# to c++ is not an adjustment one can just make later on in their careers - not without tons of home study which is hard to do when in full time work.
Original post by cipi
LOL - maybe if you know C#/Java you can pick up python straight away, but say c# to c++ is not an adjustment one can just make later on in their careers - not without tons of home study which is hard to do when in full time work.

Well I did say 'if you understand the concepts'.
Reply 23
Original post by marioman
Well I did say 'if you understand the concepts'.

Not sure what you mean. What I could tell is that you were trying to say that if you are an expect programmer and know language X, you can just switch to language Y at any time later on in your career on the fly. I disagree that is the case. My current company has hired (mistakenly) c++ devs who only had C# experience beforehand, and their quality of coding tends to be pretty bad for about 6 months.
Reply 24
Guys Help me! I can not open a file neither with .py or .txt extensions.
I am using Python 3.5

It is bioinformatics related so I type the command # gene = open ("LIF_seq.txt", "r") and it does not work.
Original post by BioOx
Guys Help me! I can not open a file neither with .py or .txt extensions.
I am using Python 3.5

It is bioinformatics related so I type the command # gene = open ("LIF_seq.txt", "r":wink: and it does not work.

The file needs to be in the working directory (in this case, that will probably be the directory which contains python.exe).
Reply 26
What is your experience with PERL!

Do you have any advice how to get better into it!
Original post by cipi
Yeah it's a shame it's declining as c++11/14 has actually made it a very nice all round language - really I think once learnt properly it's superior to c# in every way (excluding .NET integration - CLI is ugly). Even for development speed I'd say c++ is better. However with making it more complex, it means there's more of a learning curve and you end up with teams of c++ developers where 1/2 of the guys write really bad code.

I want to agree with you but isadly can't. C++ was the result to trying to shoe horn the round OO peg into the square hole of C. C++ 11/ 14 is the jack hammer response to making it look and feel like C#. It is a total compromise all round. The brilliant thing about .NET is the library. You will never know how brilliant it really is until you have written your own SQL DB interface in C++.
Reply 28
Original post by ByEeek
I want to agree with you but isadly can't. C++ was the result to trying to shoe horn the round OO peg into the square hole of C. C++ 11/ 14 is the jack hammer response to making it look and feel like C#. It is a total compromise all round.

This is not the discussion about the library - but yeah .NET is amazing. I would argue the high-level features of c++ easily beat c# e.g. templating in c++ is a lot more useful (SFINAE, variadic templates), lvalue/rvalue semantics are very powerful (perfect forwarding etc), lambdas are more powerful, constexpr to validate literals...

Original post by ByEeek

The brilliant thing about .NET is the library. You will never know how brilliant it really is until you have written your own SQL DB interface in C++.

Oh we have actually done this in C++ and it's solid - but only works well with a plugin to export the schema to c++ code. C# does win with stuff like this so fair enough.
(edited 7 years ago)
C and C++ are still giving much importance over ruby,haskell,scala or even python.Back here in India Every university has C or C++ in its curriculum for the computer science or CSE courses

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending