The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE English Language Reading Paper-Powerful Words and Phrases-Mark Scheme.

Screenshot_20160726-093708.jpg
The mark scheme I have attached is for the CIE IGCSE Language Reading Paper, for the second question where you have to analyse powerful words and phrases.
If for one word, my analysis of this word is not in depth and quite plain, would I lose any marks for this? Even if my analysis of other words is perfect, would I lose any marks?

I know it is hard to tell because you haven't read my paper, but I am really worrying about this. Someone please stop me worrying?!?!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dp00
Screenshot_20160726-093708.jpg
The mark scheme I have attached is for the CIE IGCSE Language Reading Paper, for the second question where you have to analyse powerful words and phrases.
If for one word, my analysis of this word is not in depth and quite plain, would I lose any marks for this? Even if my analysis of other words is perfect, would I lose any marks?

I know it is hard to tell because you haven't read my paper, but I am really worrying about this. Someone please stop me worrying?!?!

The mark scheme is more basic as it seems.

1 mark for overview paragraph 1
1 mark for word 1 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 2 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 3 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 4 paragraph 1
1 mark for overview paragraph 2
1 mark for word 1 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 2 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 3 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 4 paragraph 2

Hope this helps!
Original post by ad4m
The mark scheme is more basic as it seems.

1 mark for overview paragraph 1
1 mark for word 1 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 2 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 3 paragraph 1
1 mark for word 4 paragraph 1
1 mark for overview paragraph 2
1 mark for word 1 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 2 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 3 paragraph 2
1 mark for word 4 paragraph 2

Hope this helps!
thank you so much!! You are so kind!! If I lost one mark for a word in paragraph 1, would I lose the 1 mark for overview of paragraph 1? Thanks!!! I'm worrying a bit less now!!
Reply 3
Original post by dp00
thank you so much!! You are so kind!! If I lost one mark for a word in paragraph 1, would I lose the 1 mark for overview of paragraph 1? Thanks!!! I'm worrying a bit less now!!

The overview mark is for a simple summary of the overall effect of the paragraph. You can write two overviews and leave out analysis and get 2/10.
Original post by ad4m
The overview mark is for a simple summary of the overall effect of the paragraph. You can write two overviews and leave out analysis and get 2/10.
thank you! My teacher told us that we dont need to write an overview! She said that it is a waste of wording and if your analysis is sufficient then there is no need for an overview. Is she right? Do you have to give overviews to get 10/10? Thanks!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by dp00
thank you! My teacher told us that we dont need to write an overview! She said that it is a waste of wording and if your analysis is sufficient then there is no need for an overview. Is she right? Do you have to give overviews to get 10/10? Thanks!!

I haven't seen this years mark scheme, but last year with no overviews and all correct elsewhere you would've got 8/10. It is directly labelled in the mark schemes as a necessary annotation.
Original post by ad4m
I haven't seen this years mark scheme, but last year with no overviews and all correct elsewhere you would've got 8/10. It is directly labelled in the mark schemes as a necessary annotation.
thanks so much for replying again! Thats incredibly kind! Sorry if i keep badgering you!! Could I ask what you would need to say to analyse a word? For one word, I simply wrote 1 sentence of about 15 words. Is this sufficient? I know you have not seen my paper but is 15 words enough?
Reply 7
Original post by dp00
thanks so much for replying again! Thats incredibly kind! Sorry if i keep badgering you!! Could I ask what you would need to say to analyse a word? For one word, I simply wrote 1 sentence of about 15 words. Is this sufficient? I know you have not seen my paper but is 15 words enough?

I'll do an example from what you've just said.

'Incredibly' means something has been done to a great and unbelievable standard, this creates a positive effect and suggests satisfaction. [1]
Original post by ad4m
I'll do an example from what you've just said.

'Incredibly' means something has been done to a great and unbelievable standard, this creates a positive effect and suggests satisfaction. [1]
I cannt tell you how grateful I am for that! Could you say something like "The word depicts a beautiful scene and deepens the readers understanding of the stunning panorama". Would that get a mark?
Reply 9
Original post by dp00
I cannt tell you how grateful I am for that! Could you say something like "The word depicts a beautiful scene and deepens the readers understanding of the stunning panorama". Would that get a mark?

Definitely, stop worrying, I'm sure you did amazingly!
Original post by ad4m
Definitely, stop worrying, I'm sure you did amazingly!
you are probably the kindest person I have met on here. If you dont mind would "the word further deepens the beauty and stunning nature of the scenery" get a mark?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by dp00
you are probably the kindest person I have met on here. If you dont mind would "the word further deepens the beauty and stunning nature of the scenery" get a mark?

Please stop worrying. Although what you've written is wonderful, only 1 mark can be awarded per word and therefore writing sentences about one word will only result in one mark. If you left out overviews and were good at everything else then expect 8/10.
Original post by ad4m
Please stop worrying. Although what you've written is wonderful, only 1 mark can be awarded per word and therefore writing sentences about one word will only result in one mark. If you left out overviews and were good at everything else then expect 8/10.
ill try to stop worrying! Thanks so much for putting up with me! So for the last thing i wrote, i would have got 1 mark?
Reply 13
Original post by dp00
ill try to stop worrying! Thanks so much for putting up with me! So for the last thing i wrote, i would have got 1 mark?

You would've got a total of 8 marks for stating a word, its meaning and its effect 8 times over. You would've got a total of 10 marks for doing that and giving an overview of two paragraphs.
Original post by ad4m
You would've got a total of 8 marks for stating a word, its meaning and its effect 8 times over. You would've got a total of 10 marks for doing that and giving an overview of two paragraphs.
last question and i will stop!! Please!!! would "the word further deepens the beauty and stunning nature of the scenery" get a mark?
Reply 15
Original post by dp00
last question and i will stop!! Please!!! would "the word further deepens the beauty and stunning nature of the scenery" get a mark?

not on its own, with the word and its meaning yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ad4m
not on its own, with the word and its meaning yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
in the cie igcse language paper, we had to select phrases. One phrase spoke of the beauty of the scenery. If i said "the phrase is used to highlight the beauty of the scenery", please tell me that would get a mark!! I swear, this is my last question!!
Reply 17
Original post by dp00
in the cie igcse language paper, we had to select phrases. One phrase spoke of the beauty of the scenery. If i said "the phrase is used to highlight the beauty of the scenery", please tell me that would get a mark!! I swear, this is my last question!!

if thats all you wrote, then most likely not. for the marks you need to select a phrase and explain its meaning and effects. all 3 must be done for [1], this is done 8 times. paragraph overviews make up the remanding 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest