The Student Room Group

What does a average 6th form week time table look like?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
ah I see yh gosh applying during a gap year is such a good idea like the fact you can just get an unconditional and get accommodation sorted ect; I'd be buzzing if I were you !

It does take a lot of the stress and uncertainty out of applying :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
It does take a lot of the stress and uncertainty out of applying :smile:

Unlike you I'm a nervous wreck as the 18th now seems super close ... argh
Original post by 2016_GCSE
How many lessons a week per subject? (How long)

How many free periods a week?

How much of anything else a week?

It really depends on the sixth form. At my sixth form we normally have 4 lessons a week per subject.

I have about 8 - 9 free periods but during exam season I will have to be in my revision classes so I may have about 1 - 2 free periods.

Every Friday at our school we have 1 hr of EPQ and on Wednesday afternoon we get information on careers guidance and preparation for uni e.g. logging into UCAS, planning personal statement, talks from universities and HE etc.
Original post by fefssdf
Unlike you I'm a nervous wreck as the 18th now seems super close ... argh

I can imagine! I'm sure you'll have done well though! :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I can imagine! I'm sure you'll have done well though! :smile:

thanks for the positivity mature
Original post by fefssdf
bit confused how people have these ' tutorial ' sessions, like I just had form time each day and then normal lessons like we had back in gcse but then again my sixth form was attached to my secondary school so maybe thats why it felt like i was still in year 11 haha

I had form every morning. But every Wednesday lesson 1 we had an hour dedicated to UCAS/homework/work experience or job applications.

My sixth form is attached to my secondary school too:smile: although it's attached to the boys and girls school.
Original post by jamestg
I had form every morning. But every Wednesday lesson 1 we had an hour dedicated to UCAS/homework/work experience or job applications.

My sixth form is attached to my secondary school too:smile: although it's attached to the boys and girls school.

hmmm seems like a bit of a waste of time if you ask me lol ; my sixth form didn't do any of this which meant i was either doing lessons or was at home
Original post by fefssdf
hmmm seems like a bit of a waste of time if you ask me lol ; my sixth form didn't do any of this which meant i was either doing lessons or was at home

I'm in agreement. Although the intention is good.

Just wish I could spend that hour in bed...
Original post by jamestg
I'm in agreement. Although the intention is good.

Just wish I could spend that hour in bed...

Haha Yh I remember in year 12 when I had most of my lessons after break meaning on Fridays for example I would always wake up at 9am haha
I did Further maths, Chem, Physics and Bio. I had 6 lessons/week for maths, 5 for each of the others, the school timetabled 1 lesson for PE and another for a lecture, had 4 free periods (Tuesday and Thursday were 6 lessons long)
I had 4h40 of each lesson per week, and 1h10 of Critical Thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31

Definitely varies. I had two lessons of each subject (I took 4 plus Welsh bacc) per week, each being two hours long. I had one free every single afternoon, so I just went home at 1:20pm every day, it was pretty sweet:biggrin:
Our sixth form follow a 2 week based timetable like the high school. So each lesson lasted 1 hour with 5 lessons per day and a 20 minute tutorial period.
It varied per pupil but I had at least 1 study period per day, with three days where I had 2 study periods.
I had two teachers per subject and 9 hours of each subject per fortnight, the teacher split varied based on each subject.
For biology and Maths it was a 4:5 split and for physics and chemistry it was a 3:6 split (was based on teacher experience with A-Level classes so less experienced had fewer hours and more hours with KS3 and KS4).
Each fortnight I would have a double lesson for each subject, but it happened to be that I had two double physics lessons because of the time slots. So yeah, it's all very different depending on the sixth form.

We also have a 2 hour enrichment opportunity which was once a fortnight, so we would do things like cooking on a budget or a model UN or a book club etc.

Our timetable also changes next year; 8 hours per subject, per fortnight, so my study periods will be insane. However we are also getting a 1 hour tutorial a fortnight to focus on UCAS and other things such as EPQ. We are also having one PE lesson a fortnight, so all year 13 can get together and have a bit of a laugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Our sixth form changed the main school's timetable of 6 lessons a day into all double lessons for A-level subjects, so there were 3 doubles a day. Each double was around... 1h40m? There were 5 subject blocks, so you would have 3 or 4 blocks of lessons and 1 or 2 blocks of frees in total (so there were 3 doubles a week per block/3 doubles per subject!) The blocks just rotated around A, B, C, D, E, A, B, C, and so on through the whole week. It was pretty easy to remember.

How many free periods a week?How much of anything else a week?

Generally in Y13 most people at my school would have one double free every day, and two double frees one day of the week. However, don't count on getting all of your frees/lunch times all the time as there may be extra stuff that you either want to do, or things the school requires/gets you to do! e.g. EPQ, talks about uni, application stuff, extra duties for your subject if you're a "subject officer", buddy programmes, helping in lessons etc (this is a bit more for Y13 than Y12!).

Your subjects may have extra stuff that you need to do from time to time at lunch etc, but this is rare. Also consider if you will be doing lunch/after school clubs, and stuff outside of school. How much you choose to do/not do is mostly up to you, but try to keep a good balance.

You may or may not be able to go home during your frees, at my school nobody technically could until after October half term in Y13 - we got 'flexi' periods. You could get up to 2 depending on if your attendance had been good, but they had to be at the start or end of the day. This was the only time you could come in late/go home early. (However anyone who was lucky enough to have a free on Friday afternoons just left anyway, and we could leave the school to go to the shops 5mins away any time!)

I'll put my own timetable here so you can get an idea (including the extra stuff that I did per week), but in my sixth form it would have been considered to be quite busy!
I think it varies depending on the place, I act went to a sixth form college but yeah - its 3 x lessons per subject per week with 1 x 2 hr, 1 x 1.5 hr and 1 x 1hr = 4.5 p/w total.

It used to be 2 x 2 hr and 1 x 1hr = 5hr p/w total but they reduced it cause money lmao

Frees vary depending on person, last year i had 2 x 3 hour breaks and 1 x 1 hour break - the other 2 days i finished straight after my lessons.

Tutor for me was like once a week but i rarely went.
I had three lessons for each subject per week, with two being an hour and a half and one being two hours, so I had five hours for each subject per week. I also had a hour long tutorial at the end of a Tuesday, although normally we were allowed to leave after half an hour.

As for free periods, I had three, although one was at the beginning of the day and one was at the end of the day, so I only had one long break every week.

It 100% depends on the sixth form. I had 10 frees, my friend had 15 odd.
We had space for 5 lessons a day at mine. I had 15 lessons a week, an hour long and 10 free periods a week. Mine looked like this at A2 (3 subjetcs):

Monday-Assembly, 5 lessons and 2 hours after school revision close to exams. I was there from 8:30 until 5:30 most Monday's just before exams.
Tuesday- 30 minutes of history, 1 lesson in the morning, going home.
Wednesday- free, double lesson (2 hours), two frees, after school revision near exams for 2 hours
Thursday- free, 4 lessons.
Friday- 1 lesson, 2 frees, 2 lessons, 2 hours after school.

Close to exams all timetabled revision was history but sociology popped up some wednesday and fridays after school after the history exam was over.

Quick Reply