The Student Room Group

IGCSE Biology vs GCSE Science to get a C for PGCE Application

Hello,

I'm hoping to get my Science to a C so I can apply for a PGCE and was wondering which is the easiest and efficient route to achieve it. Should I do a IGCSE Biology or enrol on a GCSE Science course at college where I will need to focus on three Sciences for a whole year with a ISA assessment? I would prefer to balance full time work with studying if possible and limit costs as I'll be funding my whole PGCE.

More info:

Edexcel IGCSE Biology
1. Cost £295
2. Exams can be in January, May and June
3. I can focus solely on Biology and not the other two Sciences
4. The entry fee for examinations is still unknown could be in the region of £50-100
5. More worklife balance

GCSE Science
1. Cost £405 including one exam entry
2.Exams are in May and June with the ISA completed in class time.
3. Course will take 10 months - 3 hours morning classes and two hours evening classes.
4. Restricted hours on how much I can work as I need to go into classes.
5. I'll need to focus on three Sciences rather than one.

I've received a 2:1 in English and Literature at University of Manchester for your information.

Any advice would be much appreciated as I want to enrol as soon as possible.

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by alymau
I did Edexcel iGCSE Biology to meet the Science at grade C entry requirement for a PGCE. I didn't have any problems getting a place with this qualification. I did get in touch with my local provider before doing the course to check if the single science qualification would be acceptable so it might be worth getting in touch with some providers you're interested in. Good luck!

Thank you so much!

May I ask whether you found the course challenging? What provider did you use and how much did you pay for the entry fee?

Your help is much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending