The Student Room Group

With all this terrorism I expect a Terrorist NUKE in the next year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88
Combine it with ICBM in my shed and we're in business.:biggrin:

Ok but i must warn you we need to be smart, mi5 might be onto me, the postman was different than normal the other day and he even remarked how hot the weather was (Draws curtains and looks around shiftily)
ROFL. North Korea can't even launch a functioning nuclear missile and they have been trying for 10 years
Original post by AperfectBalance
no no they are not.

North Korea has a massive land force and a huge stockpile of artillery, and another thing is that NK has a infrastructure to build Nukes Isis at the moment really does not

Mark Twain 'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'
Original post by Plagioclase
I don't. An essay on the topic that I read in Global Catastrophic Risk argued that a terrorist organisation would be unable to build a working thermonuclear device, at the very best they'd be able to build a small dirty bomb. Building a working nuclear bomb is incredibly hard.

Pakistan have already done it. They have the bomb.

If you think the responsible authorities in Pakistan (ridden with Islamism) will be able to keep this out of terrorist Islamist control for ever and a day, I'll like to know what drugs you are on...

Your complacency and naivety is ridiculous and culpable...
Original post by generallee
Pakistan have already done it. They have the bomb.

If you think the responsible authorities in Pakistan (ridden with Islamism) will be able to keep this out of terrorist Islamist control for ever and a day, I'll like to know what drugs you are on...

Your complacency and naivety is ridiculous and culpable...

I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm asking you to trust world experts who know vastly more about the subject matter than you do. Also I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say by saying "Pakistan have already done it", Pakistan isn't a terrorist organisation.
I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm asking you to trust world experts who know vastly more about the subject matter than you do. Also I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say by saying "Pakistan have already done it", Pakistan isn't a terrorist organisation.

I don't trust you. Why would I when you clearly don't have the first clue about any of this?

Nuclear armed Pakistan is a failed state, Ripe for a Islamist takeover.

If it falls their nuclear technology could be coming to a city near you.

Remember I told you.
Original post by 2016_GCSE
Well I hear you need a reactor in order to harvest materials to then build a nuclear weapon.

Not always, although you do need a way to purify what ever fissile material you use. You also need to be able to er....'handle' and 'change' the material without irradiating yourself.

Original post by oShahpo
To make a nuclear bomb, you need something that can produce a nuclear explosion, i.e. something that produces a sustainable nuclear chain reaction.
For this, you need to have a critical mass of an isotope, such as uranium. That means you need not only obtain a sufficient amount of uranium, but also you need to enrich it to be able to reach critical mass. How do you think a group of desert monkeys will exactly be able to obtain uranium in the first place? How about enrich? How about design the vessel that will carry the bomb?
It's impossible. Hell, a whole country (Iran) with all its resources couldn't do it without being detected.

You can actually make a bomb without refining what ever material you use too much. The problem is you need much more of it to reach criticality. As you know, uranium is very dense, so it's heavy. If you need a lot of it, because you don't have the ability to refine it then you arn't going to get very far without getting noticed. Plutonium is used more than Uranium anyway but I think the same problems apply.

What oShahpo said is the easy part.

Actually getting a nuclear bomb to detonate when you want it to is a much much harder task than assembling at the materials. The fissile material must reach its critical mass at exactly the same moment in time. They are inherently 'safe' weapons in the respect that they take so much effort to bring about the right circumstances to actually detonate them.

What I know is freely available on the internet, yet i'm still a bit reserved in posting about it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by oShahpo
To make a nuclear bomb, you need something that can produce a nuclear explosion, i.e. something that produces a sustainable nuclear chain reaction.
For this, you need to have a critical mass of an isotope, such as uranium. That means you need not only obtain a sufficient amount of uranium, but also you need to enrich it to be able to reach critical mass. How do you think a group of desert monkeys will exactly be able to obtain uranium in the first place? How about enrich? How about design the vessel that will carry the bomb?
It's impossible. Hell, a whole country (Iran) with all its resources couldn't do it without being detected.

It is not unthinkable for an organised terrorist group like ISIS to get a nuke from Pakistan or nuclear material from an ex-Soviet silo. Whilst I don't think they could bring that to Europe (and certainly not to the USA or UK), they could use it against another country in the Middle East. The interesting part for them is that they don't have to make an assault; they just have to detonate it once it's on site.

Original post by ManiaMuse
Pakistan's nukes are all pointing at India and vice versa.

Nukes have no nationality.

But Pakistan hosts several terrorist organisations and could be overthrown by some.
Reply 48
Its so stupid hoe people overreact to the threat of terrorism. Do you know how likely it is to be caught up in a terrorist attack?
Original post by Pegasus2
Not always, although you do need a way to purify what ever fissile material you use. You also need to be able to er....'handle' and 'change' the material without irradiating yourself.

You can actually make a bomb without refining what ever material you use too much. The problem is you need much more of it to reach criticality. As you know, uranium is very dense, so it's heavy. If you need a lot of it, because you don't have the ability to refine it then you arn't going to get very far without getting noticed. Plutonium is used more than Uranium anyway but I think the same problems apply.

What oShahpo said is the easy part.

Actually getting a nuclear bomb to detonate when you want it to is a much much harder task than assembling at the materials. The fissile material must reach its critical mass at exactly the same moment in time. They are inherently 'safe' weapons in the respect that they take so much effort to bring about the right circumstances to actually detonate them.

What I know is freely available on the internet, yet i'm still a bit reserved in posting about it.

That's why I said designing the vessel would be difficult for them desert monkeys, unless they have the help of Ironman, as we have seen in the well-documented film Iron Man.
Reply 50
Original post by 2016_GCSE
With all these recent shootings,bombings and rampages we see there is holes in national security of many European countries and I certainly expect that if terrorists continue to leak through we can certainly expect 1 to leak through with a self made Nuclear Weapon.

Some American kid already made a nuclear reactor back in the 90's a terrorist could sneak through and do it today. Nuclear materials are not that hard to get hold of when you know possible sources:
[video="youtube;ySouQ1ykBMo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySouQ1ykBMo[/video]
The cleanup of this kids homemade reactor costed thousands of dollars.

But if a terrorist get's a reactor and gets just a small amount of the correct substances a nuke that could wipe a small town out could be made.

We need to take action sooner or later or we will just see the number of terrorist related incidents continuously rise higher and higher!

Isis is in desert....nuclear materials are not that hard to get hold of.. lol
Reply 51
Original post by DorianGrayism
Mark Twain 'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.'

I know ISIS and Islamic terror is very extreme but is it just me who can't imagine a scenario where Isis kills tens of thousands using a nuke? Doesn't fit there style and how can be possibly justify that much mass killing and destruction to their God? Until America/west launches nukes on muslims/Arabs first I dont see this being a legitimate outcome.
Surely a nuke defeats the point of terrorism? I mean, who left would there to be terrified? It'd probably end in the near east being nuked, and then we'd get nuked back and then the earth would become uninhabitable.
Was there any need to dig up this absurd thread? :smile:
Original post by JamesN88
Although they're way behind the West technologically they're in a different league to IS in military capability.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Army

Let's do this simplier:

I can build a drone, but I can't build a nuke.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending