The Student Room Group

English literature at a level compare to gcse

I am considering doing English literature for a level I am going to start year 11.I am currently working at an A/A* I really enjoy english literature but how does it compare to GCSE and what are its uses?Is it worth doing or am I better off doing physics for example?My options for a level are maths,biology,chemistry,english lit.
Considering to change english lit to physics.
A lot of people who chose to do eng lit at AS Level chose it because they enjoyed it at GCSE. In all honesty, AS lit will seem like a totally different subject to GCSE lit.

Only go into it if you really enjoy reading and writing essays. There are 4 or so books/plays you'll be reading, or more if you do AQA, plus lots of critical material, contextual books, and other books/plays written at the same time. The essays you'll be writing are quite hefty and they'll require a lot more analysis and flair than you're writing at GCSE. For the exams, you'll also have to memorise a lot of quotes, both from the books and from critics to back up your essays; also, in the exams you'll be writing maybe 2 essays in 1.5 hours? If you want, I can send you an example of an A grade essay for literature? There is a lot of work to be done for the exam, and so if you enjoy it I'd encourage you to take it, but I'll be honest when I say that if you're having doubts, it might not be the subject for you. Physics would suit your options much better, but 2 sciences and maths might be a little heavy, and I know plenty of people who study both English and maths.

What is it that you enjoy about english literature at GCSE?
Original post by blue2337
A lot of people who chose to do eng lit at AS Level chose it because they enjoyed it at GCSE. In all honesty, AS lit will seem like a totally different subject to GCSE lit.

Only go into it if you really enjoy reading and writing essays. There are 4 or so books/plays you'll be reading, or more if you do AQA, plus lots of critical material, contextual books, and other books/plays written at the same time. The essays you'll be writing are quite hefty and they'll require a lot more analysis and flair than you're writing at GCSE. For the exams, you'll also have to memorise a lot of quotes, both from the books and from critics to back up your essays; also, in the exams you'll be writing maybe 2 essays in 1.5 hours? If you want, I can send you an example of an A grade essay for literature? There is a lot of work to be done for the exam, and so if you enjoy it I'd encourage you to take it, but I'll be honest when I say that if you're having doubts, it might not be the subject for you. Physics would suit your options much better, but 2 sciences and maths might be a little heavy, and I know plenty of people who study both English and maths.

What is it that you enjoy about english literature at GCSE?

Would doing English be easier than physics?As well as what are the chances of receiving an A or A* in physics or english lit? I am hoping to go to a top university to study medicine.1 subject that I enjoy would be good.If you could send me an exemplar essay it would be appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Would doing English be easier than physics?As well as what are the chances of receiving an A or A* in physics or english lit? I am hoping to go to a top university to study medicine.1 subject that I enjoy would be good.If you could send me an exemplar essay it would be appreciated.

I don't do physics so I can't answer that, but at AS you can only get an A as the highest grade, and if you were doing maths and 2 other sciences, I'd assume you'd drop english at AS. Honestly, both physics and english are very difficult in different ways, so it depends where your strengths lie.

I've uploaded an essay I wrote, it's a discursive essay and scored about 26/30 I think? One of my earlier ones though!

If you want to study medicine, I'd probably suggest going with the subject you feel you're more likely to get an A in, because for medicine you'll need AAAA or AAAB at AS, dropping the subject you got lowest in.
I don't do physics so I can't answer that, but at AS you can only get an A as the highest grade, and if you were doing maths and 2 other sciences, I'd assume you'd drop english at AS. Honestly, both physics and english are very difficult in different ways, so it depends where your strengths lie.

I've uploaded an essay I wrote, it's a discursive essay and scored about 26/30 I think? One of my earlier ones though!

If you want to study medicine, I'd probably suggest going with the subject you feel you're more likely to get an A in, because for medicine you'll need AAAA or AAAB at AS, dropping the subject you got lowest in.

Your essay is so so well written I am overwhelmed by the craftsmanship I love the vocabulary as I see so few people use good words like sagacious instead of smart of cerulean instead of blue for example.I will stick with English for now.I will do some research for physics.How do you know what your strengths lie in?The best part of parents evening is English lit because it is where most praise and the highest grade is achieved.Could I send you a sample of my essay perhaps it is only gcse standard but I would like to ask you what you think.
Your essay is so so well written I am overwhelmed by the craftsmanship I love the vocabulary as I see so few people use good words like sagacious instead of smart of cerulean instead of blue for example.I will stick with English for now.I will do some research for physics.How do you know what your strengths lie in?The best part of parents evening is English lit because it is where most praise and the highest grade is achieved.Could I send you a sample of my essay perhaps it is only gcse standard but I would like to ask you what you think.

Hahaha, thank you very much, I used to want to do lit at uni but now I've changed my mind, but I do love the subject. However, a lot of my work has come from a ridiculous amount of independent study, which has worked out well but it took a lot of effort!

If you really do enjoy English I'd recommend taking it. AS is hard as it is, but it's better if you have a subject which makes your day fun and you look forward to. After all, you'll be doing the same 4 lessons every day, so you gotta enjoy it.

For sure! I'd love to read one. :smile: which books do you do at GCSE?
Hahaha, thank you very much, I used to want to do lit at uni but now I've changed my mind, but I do love the subject. However, a lot of my work has come from a ridiculous amount of independent study, which has worked out well but it took a lot of effort!

If you really do enjoy English I'd recommend taking it. AS is hard as it is, but it's better if you have a subject which makes your day fun and you look forward to. After all, you'll be doing the same 4 lessons every day, so you gotta enjoy it.

For sure! I'd love to read one. :smile: which books do you do at GCSE?

Great expectations.So what did you do at university at the end?I love to writing English essays I even asked for summer homework.
Actually can't wait to start English Lit. I know I've only got a B in it as we only started getting taught the material for GCSE from Christmas in year 11, but I love the idea of analysing it from a religious and the society's point of view. I just love books in general but I don't like this 'analyse what the use of the colour blue means' stuff, it feels so repetitive.
Great expectations.So what did you do at university at the end?I love to writing English essays I even asked for summer homework.

I'm not at university yet! I'm applying for Linguistics this year, I'm just starting my personal statement. And that's good that you enjoy writing them, just keep that up in sixth form then! Feel free to keep me as a contact and send me anything you need help with :smile:
I'm not at university yet! I'm applying for Linguistics this year, I'm just starting my personal statement. And that's good that you enjoy writing them, just keep that up in sixth form then! Feel free to keep me as a contact and send me anything you need help with :smile:

Thank you
Thank you

That's a nice start to an essay! It's very good for GCSE, and at AS Level you'll be learning a totally new style of writing essays which is known as 'discursive', where you're given a statement or a critics point of view and you have to argue for or against it, using the text as a whole to inform your argument! You've got some good points and some good arguments, and next year I'm sure you'll have loads of practice at going deeper into your arguments and writing lots about a little!
That's a nice start to an essay! It's very good for GCSE, and at AS Level you'll be learning a totally new style of writing essays which is known as 'discursive', where you're given a statement or a critics point of view and you have to argue for or against it, using the text as a whole to inform your argument! You've got some good points and some good arguments, and next yearScan 3.jpg I'm sure you'll have loads of practice at going deeper into your arguments and writing lots about a little!

Here is the other par thank you

Quick Reply