The Student Room Group

Wolf whistling - is it sexual harrasment?

I know some of my friend's and families opinions on this, and im curious to see if the same opinion stretches nationwide or if different areas share different opinions.

To sum it up as a initial starting point, wolf whistling as defined by Wikipedia is "a two-toned sound (like 'whip-woo') commonly made using the above technique to show high interest or approval of something or someone." And it is mainly directed at young girls, although It can be directed at young men deemed attractive.

In my opinion, it is disgusting. I first began getting wolf whistled at the age of 13 when I had next to no curves, had my hair in a ugly looking bob hairstyle with a low ponytail down the back and my clothing consisted of t-shirts and jogging bottoms. Not really the sorts of things deemed attractive, but somehow it happened. It was clearly obvious that I was underage, but for some reason I was seen as being good-looking enough for a 'compliment.'

Even now, I am 16 years old and I get wolf whistled and stares from older men that often, that I have reached a point where I do not go out on my own because it makes me feel humilated and almost like the inner person that I am, has very little value to society. I feel like I am only accepted as part of society because I have curves on my body. It's not true of course, but it feels like that. I've begun to go back to wearing tops that go to the top of my collar to see if they attract less attention, and when it's bearable to do so, I wear the bulkiest hoodie I own to avoid wolf whistles to no avail. Surely in a way, it's pedophilic? I mean, we get articles popping up online talking about how younger and younger children are being drawn into the sexual world. But isn't wolf whistling a part of this too? As we are being told at young ages through wolf whistles that we look sexually appealing even though we are technically still children.

I once brought this topic up to a friend once and I told her it made me uncomfortable. She told me it's just one of those things I should get used to, but why should I? I don't want to walk down the street and feel like Im just providing a extra bit of eye candy to any man (and yes, I've never been wolf whistled by a woman) who happens to be out at the same time as me. I want to be recognised as someone who has gone out for a purpose, and just because I'm young, doesn't mean I want attention. In a way, it's slut shaming, and it's only because I'm young am I getting this attention. I'm not wearing anything revealing. Only skin I'm showing is my hands, head and ankles so surely it's a giveaway I don't want to be complimented.

I don't think myself as a feminist. I don't often speak about the men and women differences. But I think there's a extreme problem if I'm too scared to leave the house on my own in fear of these 'compliments.'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xEmilyxx
I know some of my friend's and families opinions on this, and im curious to see if the same opinion stretches nationwide or if different areas share different opinions.

To sum it up as a initial starting point, wolf whistling as defined by Wikipedia is "a two-toned sound (like 'whip-woo') commonly made using the above technique to show high interest or approval of something or someone." And it is mainly directed at young girls, although It can be directed at young men deemed attractive.

In my opinion, it is disgusting. I first began getting wolf whistled at the age of 13 when I had next to no curves, had my hair in a ugly looking bob hairstyle with a low ponytail down the back and my clothing consisted of t-shirts and jogging bottoms. Not really the sorts of things deemed attractive, but somehow it happened. It was clearly obvious that I was underage, but for some reason I was seen as being good-looking enough for a 'compliment.'

Even now, I am 16 years old and I get wolf whistled and stares from older men that often, that I have reached a point where I do not go out on my own because it makes me feel humilated and almost like the inner person that I am, has very little value to society. I feel like I am only accepted as part of society because I have curves on my body. It's not true of course, but it feels like that. I've begun to go back to wearing tops that go to the top of my collar to see if they attract less attention, and when it's bearable to do so, I wear the bulkiest hoodie I own to avoid wolf whistles to no avail. Surely in a way, it's pedophilic? I mean, we get articles popping up online talking about how younger and younger children are being drawn into the sexual world. But isn't wolf whistling a part of this too? As we are being told at young ages through wolf whistles that we look sexually appealing even though we are technically still children.

I once brought this topic up to a friend once and I told her it made me uncomfortable. She told me it's just one of those things I should get used to, but why should I? I don't want to walk down the street and feel like Im just providing a extra bit of eye candy to any man (and yes, I've never been wolf whistled by a woman) who happens to be out at the same time as me. I want to be recognised as someone who has gone out for a purpose, and just because I'm young, doesn't mean I want attention. In a way, it's slut shaming, and it's only because I'm young am I getting this attention. I'm not wearing anything revealing. Only skin I'm showing is my hands, head and ankles so surely it's a giveaway I don't want to be complimented.

I don't think myself as a feminist. I don't often speak about the men and women differences. But I think there's a extreme problem if I'm too scared to leave the house on my own in fear of these 'compliments.'

You are 16, it's not 'pedophilic'. Annoying, hell yeah, happens to me too, and I'm a guy, illegal no.
ignorance is bliss.
I don't think wolf whistling is always sexual. Sometimes men just do it for fun or to get a reaction if they are in a group.

If it's any consolation, I know a few men who receive comments or whatever when they're walking down the street alone. Obviously not wolf whistles, but sometimes abuse. Mainly from teens/groups just looking to create mischief.

Unless it's very excessive and persistent, I don't think it's sexual harassment. In fact, I think that's insulting to the victims of real sexual harassment.
Reply 4
It's pointless, idiotic, and generally an unpleasant thing to do, but I think lumping it together with all manner of much more egregious things by calling it sexual harassment is a bit far. I am sorry but your very negative reaction to such behaviour does not necessarily affect how bad such behaviour can be considered to be. One individual might not have too adverse an emotional reaction to something like being groped without consent, while another individual, like yourself, can have a very adverse emotional reaction to wolf whistling, but the former action is far worse than the latter.
(edited 7 years ago)
No.
No but it makes me feel uncomfortable.
tldr
no
Reply 8
No. Neither is catcalling imo
It's pretty uncomfortable being wolf whistled at.
I'd find wolf whistling creepy, but I personally wouldn't go as far as to file a report for sexual harassment.
No it's definitely NOT sexual harassment. Just ignore it if it bothers you.
I can imagine it could be annoying and creepy for many women, but most of the time it's too benign to be regarded as any sort of crime.

We're heading down a path where we're bringing legal intervention into more of our personal and social interactions. Sometimes people just need to act like adults and deal with their own problems, otherwise we create an increasingly overbearing and authoritarian state that has too much power over us and treats us like children.

If a mugger pulls a knife on you, call the cops and get the authorities involved. But if some otherwise harmless jerk whistles at you on the street, just ignore them or tell them to screw off.
I don't understand how this will work:
You wolf whistle at someone to get their attention and someone complains to the police. You say "but I wasn't whilsting at you. I was whilsting at the lady over there". Neither of you can prove or disprove it.

It's not something I've seen that much recently. Unless you count whilst out running and being whilsted at by teenage boys.

And no, I don't like it. But what can I do about it? Like I've said, I can't prove that he was whistling at me.
Reply 14
Original post by xEmilyxx

To sum it up as a initial starting point, wolf whistling as defined by Wikipedia is "a two-toned sound (like 'whip-woo':wink: commonly made using the above technique to show high interest or approval of something or someone." And it is mainly directed at young girls, although It can be directed at young men deemed attractive.

With the way feminazism is going soon simply talking to a woman will be sexually harrassment
I think I'm the only woman in existence to have never been wolf whistled at. I must be hella fugly.
Sort of, especially if they follow it up with something else, but then again I give as good as I get.
Tbh, if any one ever did that to me I would freak out and any person who does that to a child is a dog. But someone whistling at you is harmless and anyone can easily walk away from the situation. Wolf whistling is a noise, not touching.
It can't be sexual harassment if no one is being touched sexually and harassed.
It's certainly not anything in which the law should get involved but yes it is one of those things that needs to be worked out of society.
It's something that happens in society, yeah, it's annoying and uncomfortable but you can walk out the situation, and often isn't personal.

Quick Reply

Latest