The Student Room Group

Choosing economics as my A levels

I really have burning desire to pick economics as a subject for A level but I am not completely sure whether i am going to study economics at uni. Some sixth form institution are recommending to take maths with it as it is a good combination (Which im not very keen on taking). I dont know what to do. Is economics worth taking as a subject on its own. I dont even know what i want to study later on at uni. HELP!!
You need Maths if you're going to study Economics at uni. I know top end universities require it but take Maths to be on the safe side (some uni's may not ask for A Level Math but maybe a decent GCSE Maths grade as an alternative).
Also it gives you more economics related courses with Maths, it broadens your options and the last thing you'll want to be feeling is the regret of not taking Maths.

I'm not sure about your ability in Maths but Maths is without doubt one of the strongest academic subjects to study at A Level so it's worth doing it.

Have a look around a range of universities in their economics course grade requirements and subject requirements if there are any.

Also you need to make sure what you'll plan on studying or maybe a general idea of what field you want to go into. Your time is now to research uni's, courses etc. and this way you'll be picking the right A Level choices.
(edited 7 years ago)
yes i agree. math along with economics, is a very strong combination.
tbh, even if you are not going to economics, math will open many doors and options for you.
many universities ask for math and it is in a few universities, deemed as a 'preferred subject'.
good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest