The Student Room Group

Could anyone help me with couple of these questions?

Both the questions have been uploaded to this post.

Please provide a brief explanation if possible with the answer. Thanks
Reply 1
What have you tried?
Reply 2
I haven't done A level chemistry for over 5 years. From memory and some reasonable knowledge of the equilibrium constants, i worked out the answer for question 8 as Exothermic and the temperature increasing. Not sure if i am entirely correct?

I do not have an idea how to start about answering question 9.

Do you have an idea?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I think i have figured out the Ka value and i have got it as B (5 ka). Am i correct?
Reply 4
Kc increases with temperature. Kc = [products]/[reactants]. Increasing Kc means more products than before, i.e. equilibrium -> RHS. Therefore endothermic. Q9: I'd go with Ka = [H+] x [A-]/[HA]. When you add half the volume of OH- needed to fully neutralise (i.e. the volume that makes the graph go vertical) then [A-] = [HA], so Ka = [H+] and pKa = pH = 5.
Original post by Saint132
I think i have figured out the Ka value and i have got it as B (5 ka). Am i correct?

Yes, pKa=pH pK_a=pH at the half-equivalence point. Since the equivalence point is 30cm330 cm^3, the half-equivalence point is 15cm315 cm^3 which corresponds to pH=5pH=5 so pKa=5pK_a=5. Thus
Unparseable latex formula:

K_a=10^-^5

Reply 6
Yes. Thank you for confirming!

Question 8, i think i have made a mistake and the answer should be in fact be D (Increases and it should be endothermic as Kc has increased due to the temperature being increased)?

That is from what i have read. Is this correct also?
For question 8:

Kc=[NO]2[O2][N2]K_c = \frac{[NO]^2} {[O_2][N_2]}

So as the value of KcK_c has increased when the temperature has increased, it means the [NO][NO] has increased in relation to the [N2][N_2] and [O2][O_2]. Therefore, the forward reaction has to be endothermic so equilibrium would shift to the right to oppose the increase the temperature thus increasing the concentration of NONO.
Reply 8
One final question. I have worked out question 10 but question 11, i have no recollection of the theory.

Could you help with question 11 if possible.
Reply 9
Original post by NeverLucky
For question 8:

Kc=[NO]2[O2][N2]K_c = \frac{[NO]^2} {[O_2][N_2]}

So as the value of KcK_c has increased when the temperature has increased, it means the [NO][NO] has increased in relation to the [N2][N_2] and [O2][O_2]. Therefore, the forward reaction has to be endothermic so equilibrium would shift to the right to oppose the increase the temperature thus increasing the concentration of NONO.

Yeah. Thanks again. I think i should have done a chemistry degree rather than a physics related one as i had more intrigue in the last day working these out than any of my physics topics.
Original post by Saint132
One final question. I have worked out question 10 but question 11, i have no recollection of the theory.

Could you help with question 11 if possible.

The answer to this can simply be deduced from the first half of the hydrogen peroxide half-equation:

H2O2+2H++2eH_2O_2 + 2H^+ + 2e^-

In order for hydrogen peroxide to react, H+H^+ ions have to be present and the only species out of the 4 that provide H+H^+ ions is HClHCl.
Original post by NeverLucky
The answer to this can simply be deduced from the first half of the hydrogen peroxide half-equation:

H2O2+2H++2eH_2O_2 + 2H^+ + 2e^-

In order for hydrogen peroxide to react, H+H^+ ions have to be present and the only species out of the 4 that provide H+H^+ ions is HClHCl.

Nice and simple way to put it..
Reply 12
Thank you for your help. Understood!

Quick Reply

Latest