The Student Room Group

I want to quit cos I'm going back to uni

I've worked in a fast food place since the beginning of this month but I'll have to leave in September to go back to uni. My manager is telling me to stay on working one day a week even though cost of travel from my uni to work will cost more than I will be paid in that one day. The thing is they're guilting me into staying; saying I've wasted money training me and how well I'm improving. I don't know what to do, I mean I have to leave there's no question about it but management intimidates me, and in my interview I said I could travel down when I go back (just so they would hire me) but circumstances have changed since then, I recieved my grades and I really need to do better this year. how should I approach this??? Also I hate it so....
Don't listen to what your manager is telling you. If an employee has the right to resign then go for it. Even if they still say you have to come every week or so, I would just stop going and get fired automatically to be honest. I mean what more could they so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em211997
I've worked in a fast food place since the beginning of this month but I'll have to leave in September to go back to uni. My manager is telling me to stay on working one day a week even though cost of travel from my uni to work will cost more than I will be paid in that one day. The thing is they're guilting me into staying; saying I've wasted money training me and how well I'm improving. I don't know what to do, I mean I have to leave there's no question about it but management intimidates me, and in my interview I said I could travel down when I go back (just so they would hire me) but circumstances have changed since then, I recieved my grades and I really need to do better this year. how should I approach this??? Also I hate it so....

You can just go back in the holidays when you arent at uni I know a lot of people who do that.
Reply 3
You have every right to leave, if there's no minimum length in the contract then they can't make you stay :hand:

You might struggle to get another job there but you said you hate it so... just get outta there.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
You can just go back in the holidays when you arent at uni I know a lot of people who do that.

I'm going to second year and want a 2:1 or higher. I also need to be volunteering and doing placements during holidays. I have no time for work there 😕
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
You have every right to leave, if there's no minimum length in the contract then they can't make you stay :hand:

You might struggle to get another job there but you said you hate it so... just get outta there.

I'm not planning to work for a while. I need to study! I just about passes with a 2:2 😢
Reply 6
I'm not planning to work for a while. I need to study! I just about passes with a 2:2 😢

Exactly, I gave up work to study because it's much more important :cute:

Get outta that job whenever you want :3
I'm going to second year and want a 2:1 or higher. I also need to be volunteering and doing placements during holidays. I have no time for work there 😕

Throughout my studies- i studies, did volunteering every week, placements- and still worked 15-20 hours a week.
Throughout my studies- i studies, did volunteering every week, placements- and still worked 15-20 hours a week.

Did you get a medal for it?
Original post by pandaseattoast
Did you get a medal for it?

Im just saying it can be done.
I know of others who did the same.
Some people (not saying you are one of them), use the "im busy studying" and "i havent got time" as excuses to not get a part time job.
Reply 10
Just stay firm and say exactly that, it will cost you more to travel than you will earn. If you don't mind you can ask if you could just work on holidays or transfer to a store closer to uni and keep like a weekend or evening job
Reply 11
Im just saying it can be done.
I know of others who did the same.
Some people (not saying you are one of them), use the "im busy studying" and "i havent got time" as excuses to not get a part time job.

Good for you
Reply 12

I want to pull my grade up as much as possible so I won't be talking your advise thanks

Quick Reply