Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

A conversation between me and the admin of fb page"Imperial College Secrets"

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Everyone who has done a degree at Imperial during recent years has most definitely heard about few facebook pages like "Imperial College Secrets" and "Imperial College Tell Someone Something"(this one got shut down because of too much made up facts and cyber bullying) etc..

It surely is okay to tell jokes or have pranks on some college mates, or make class confessions if the contents are kind, and the pages on many occasions did so, sometimes not. Imperial College Secrets has been a good platform to tell beneficial/useful jokes or have confessions but sometimes, it just went bit beyond acceptable and has the same problem as the previous "IC tell someone something", so I gave the page a message on facebook yesterday.

Here are our conversations:

Me: I somehow really dont like this page's sometimes really beyond the border obscene contents// while sometimes this is meant to be fun// but I am sorry, not fun on many occassions// as I literally just graduated, I want to say// I really really dislike some of the people who post some bad thing and previous admin who failed to filter

//the admin: wow u still fat as ****

South Park: Family Guy is unnecessarily offensive sociopathic and always gives irrelevant contents// family guy: matt and trey are gays

-----conversation ended------

I am very aware about my overweight because of my diet in England and my medical condition, and I try losing it really quickly since summer. But that is not the point here, Imperial College is a great uni but the social environment from my observation through years is indeed bit horrendous sometimes- having immature admin bashing people in order to make him feel better and avoid his problems is just bit ridiculous for a so called world class uni.

(There are a hand of other things i and my friends experience but find it too awkward to share publicly so we would rather not talk about those)How do you think TSR-er?

P.S. I lost 20 lbs compare to my fb profile before I talked to this anonymous admin.

I think you went looking for an argument and found one. Of your own volition, you've emailed the admin of a FB page you don't like due to its general tone and content, and told them that you didn't like it. What on earth was the point of that? You could have kept your opinion to yourself and gone on your way without being directly insulted. You chose not to do that.

More to the point, given the tone/content of the page, what sort of response were you expecting? As an Imperial graduate, you're intelligent enough to know that the response wasn't going to be a concerned apology for offending you and a promise to reform in future.

If you don't like something on the internet, you ignore it. On FB, you block the page/person etc. You fed the trolls and they bit you. That's modern life.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.