The Student Room Group

Best foundation?

I've always worn cheap ones, currently have Rimmel lasting finish but find it too orange (on palest colour) and cakey. I want good coverage, but don't want it to settle in fine lines or pores and look dry and horrible. I have combination to oily skin that's also very sensitive. I've been recommended bare minerals or Estée Lauder double wear. Can I go to the counters in boots and ask for a sample to try? Reluctant to spend lots of money on something that's crap!*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I recommend Urban Decay naked skin foundation. I started using it a few weeks ago and it's the best foundation I've tried. The setting spray is really good too!
Concrete
Hmm idk I've heard lots of good reviews about Mac face and body. It has low to medium coverage but it looks like skin when applied. It has a water consistency but when applied to the face it kind of thickens up. I can't afford it atm but I've tried it and it made my skin look so good! However if you wear it you have to powder esp on the oily parts on your face. The super drug foundation I'm using atm is te GOSH foundation drops. I think it's similar to the Mac face and body but way cheaper, my only complaint is with this is it doesn't last all day. The foundation I used before was the bourjois healthy mix. That foundation feels and looks so great, not cakey however I had to stop using it bc it looked really pink on my skin and my skin has a bit of s yellower under tone in some places. I'm pretty sure you can ask for a sample, if not ask if they can apply it to your face and then try it for the day.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I've always worn cheap ones, currently have Rimmel lasting finish but find it too orange (on palest colour) and cakey. I want good coverage, but don't want it to settle in fine lines or pores and look dry and horrible. I have combination to oily skin that's also very sensitive. I've been recommended bare minerals or Estée Lauder double wear. Can I go to the counters in boots and ask for a sample to try? Reluctant to spend lots of money on something that's crap!*

Estèe Lauder double wear is really good. I highly recommend it. Yes go into boots and ask for a sample. You could also try debenhams & house of Fraser.
I got samples from all 3 before I bought mine. The coverage is excellent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by velvetsky
Estèe Lauder double wear is really good. I highly recommend it. Yes go into boots and ask for a sample. You could also try debenhams & house of Fraser.
I got samples from all 3 before I bought mine. The coverage is excellent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

How big are the samples? When I like to try out a new product I like to try it for a few days.
Reply 6
Blue foundation

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love Max Factor Ageless Elixir it's fairly light and it doesn't clog up my skin :smile:

MAC Studio Fix Powder and Foundation Palette :wink:
British Heart Foundation.

there is one called 'Senna Lasting Illusion' and its a mineral foundation and its great! My only problem with it though is that you have to apply it fast because it turns into a powder based one after you apply it even though its liquid to remove the shiny look so it is a bit stressful to apply haha. Its £32 pound though I think thats what I pay anyway and has good coverage! I think you can order it online but all the prices are in dollars on the website.
Too Faced "Born This Way" is a great foundation and is oil free, satin finish
I really dislike MAC foundations apart from the "Face and Body" because the rest break me out
Estee Lauder "Double Wear" is a great foundation for heavy coverage, matte finish
Kat Von D "Lock It Tattoo" foundation is also a great heavy coverage foundation, satin finish
L'Oreal True Match Lumi is great for everyday wear, medium coverage with a dewy finish
Becca Aqua Luminous Perfecting foundation is an amazing extremely dewy foundation if you like that look
Revlon Colourstay is similar to MAC Studio Fix but thankfully it doesn't break you out, matte finish
YSL Touche Eclat Foundation is a lovely, beautiful foundation, light to medium, buildable coverage, dewy finish
Diorskin Star is a lovely foundation as well, medium buildable coverage, matte finish
Diorskin Nude is a very sheer foundation as the name suggests, slightly dewy finish but more on the matte side

All these foundations are ones I would recommend. I'm a freelance makeup artist.
(edited 7 years ago)
I use the (porcelain) Fresh Nude Body Shop foundation. It is beautttttttiful. It applies great and looks so nice on my skin. It's not shiny or matte, to be honest - it's just a very natural looking application. Kind of gives your skin a fresh, dewy look. Long lasting and doesn't leave any horrible dark rings around the edges or whatever and doesn't change colour after a while which I've experienced with some other products. It's a light application but still gives pretty good coverage. And even smells nice!
@Madame Skin Could you recommend a foundation here?
Original post by Eternalflames
@Madame Skin Could you recommend a foundation here?

Hi

I would have to recommend Bare Minerals foundations - in particular the skin brightening foundation. The variety of shades they have and their understanding of cool / warm / golden undertones makes it a winner for me. You only need to go onto the Boots website and see how many positive reviews it has had.

Youtube is another great place for seeing Bare Minerals being reviewed "live" in its many different shades.

It's a good idea to pop down to your local Bare Minerals beauty counter and ask to be matched and then to take a sample home.

I have tried many foundations in the past e.g. MAC, Bobby Brown, Clinique but the shades have not quite delivered.. Bare Minerals is my favourite.

Hope this helps...

Liz
L'Oreal is my favorite
Reply 16
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
How big are the samples? When I like to try out a new product I like to try it for a few days.

They say its 10 days but honestly that is a minimum! lasts for a very long time and they will keep giving you samples and re-colour matching for as long as it takes to convince you. depending on where you live, visit different counters in different branches and get colour matched each time and try out different coverages (ie try double wear light- according to sali hughes although double wear is the uks most popular foundation, most people would find light sufficient).
get the samples as often as you can because it is very very expensive and tbh lauder can afford it. wait until they have a deal on before you part the cash.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Too Faced "Born This Way" is a great foundation and is oil free, satin finish
I really dislike MAC foundations apart from the "Face and Body" because the rest break me out
Estee Lauder "Double Wear" is a great foundation for heavy coverage, matte finish
Kat Von D "Lock It Tattoo" foundation is also a great heavy coverage foundation, satin finish
L'Oreal True Match Lumi is great for everyday wear, medium coverage with a dewy finish
Becca Aqua Luminous Perfecting foundation is an amazing extremely dewy foundation if you like that look
Revlon Colourstay is similar to MAC Studio Fix but thankfully it doesn't break you out, matte finish
YSL Touche Eclat Foundation is a lovely, beautiful foundation, light to medium, buildable coverage, dewy finish
Diorskin Star is a lovely foundation as well, medium buildable coverage, matte finish
Diorskin Nude is a very sheer foundation as the name suggests, slightly dewy finish but more on the matte side

All these foundations are ones I would recommend. I'm a freelance makeup artist.

I don't understand why you are recommending dewy foundations to someone that has oily skin?
Original post by Seharxx
I don't understand why you are recommending dewy foundations to someone that has oily skin?

Theres a common misconception that people with oily skin cannot wear dewy foundations, but they can if they like a dewy finish. They need to make sure to use a matte primer or a matte moisturizer before using the foundation or even use translucent powder on their face before applying the foundation and continue to use a dewy foundation and still achieve that luminous, glowing, dewy foundation without having that sweaty look, and as you can see i also recommended matte finishes so it's up to the OP what foundation she would prefer.

Plenty of my clients had oily skin and preferred a dewy finish as opposed to a matte finish and this is what I do to keep the oily T Zone in control. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Theres a common misconception that people with oily skin cannot wear dewy foundations, but they can if they like a dewy finish. They need to make sure to use a matte primer or a matte moisturizer before using the foundation or even use translucent powder on their face before applying the foundation and continue to use a dewy foundation and still achieve that luminous, glowing, dewy foundation without having that sweaty look, and as you can see i also recommended matte finishes so it's up to the OP what foundation she would prefer.

Plenty of my clients had oily skin and preferred a dewy finish as opposed to a matte finish and this is what I do to keep the oily T Zone in control. Hope that helps :smile:

Jeez I wish I had oily skin! I can only go for the dewy look unless I want to look cakey af! But yeah thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest