Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Don't have the correct evidence necessary to apply for Student Finance

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am not originally from the UK however I'v been living here for 10 years. Student Finance requires me as I don't have a passport and won't be able to get one until September. Since I am foreign I specifically have to go to London to apply, I first had to wait to get a date on which I can go there and it then takes a month to receive the passport. It says I need proof for: being an EU national, date of birth and identity. For the proof of being an EU national I am allowed to send in a birth certificate, however for the other two they require a passport. When I select that I can not provide proof for the other two it deletes the fact that I have selected to send in my birth certificate for proof of being an EU national.Whilst I was still at sixth form my head of year sent an authorised letter from school to the student finance office, explaining my situation. Along with that we sent my birth certificate and my expired passport yet they declined that as evidence and failed to give me useful advice when I contacted them again. My head of year said I should just wait till I get my passport but if I only send it in September there's no way I'll get the money in time for starting university. What should I do?

I called student finance to ask about advice but they did not answer my question at all. They said they wouldn't accept my birth certificate because it's foreign (even though it has English translation on it) and they just don't understand that I won't have a passport until September.

Hi Fleming1928

Acceptable evidence for non-UK nationals is as follows:
    • EU Passport (must be in date) - original
    • EU National Identity Card (must be in date) - original
    • Original Non-UK Passport (must be in date) along with either an Immigration Status Document (I.S.D) or a Home Office letter confirming you status in the UK. We no longer accept Republic of Ireland birth certificates.
    • Travel Document
    • Certificate of Naturalisation
    • Certificate of Registration (must be original)
    • Biometric Residence Permit cards*
    Without acceptable ID we are unable to process the application.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.