The Student Room Group

Why do banks have target/semi-target universities?

Why do they exclusively (bar a few exceptions) recruit from these top universities? Why don't they just consider all universities? There are probably some excellent guys at somewhere like York or whatever who have excellent extracurriculars, excellent work experience, have networked a lot and know a lot about the industry and can build good relationships with clients. Surely there are people at non-target schools who have better profiles than some people at targets? Banking doesn't really require you to be a genius.

Some of the big4 have recently got rid of UCAS requirements because they said that a lot of great candidates were being eliminated by their previous system. Why don't banks do the same thing with target schools?

Scroll to see replies

I actually have no idea. They just get loads and loads of applicants and want to reduce that pile down to a smaller but still massive pile of applicants. A guy from Sureey could probably do the job just as well as a guy from a top uni.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
To cut down the number of applications. Banking gets like a million applicants per position. And it's not exclusive to target and semi-target applicants- they just have an advantage.

An amazing guy from somewhere like London South bank uni could get in if they were exceptional. In fact that has happened.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Why don't they just base it on how big your **** is? Then I'd get the job easy.
Reply 4
As mentioned previously, you have thousands of applications for spring weeks and over 10k summer apps so you got to simplify the process somehow. Ultimately it's a mix of an advantage and loop from people in said target unis recruiting alumna from the same place they were.

Typically, most of those of those with stellar extra-curriculars, commercial awareness and networking skills will also come from the target unis - and those who are truly exceptional from semi-targets or even London South Bank have a chance.
Because people who don't work hard don't deserve a lucrative career
Basically they wanna get rid of as many mandem as possible so they target the big dogs so only the best banking bois in town get the job. It's just another method of reducing applications cos bare man gonna think "oh **** man don't go to a target, no point applying den" so only the mandem who think they are the best even bother applying.
Original post by glebp
Because people who don't work hard don't deserve a lucrative career

Daym that's savage
Original post by Ladbants
Why do they exclusively (bar a few exceptions) recruit from these top universities? Why don't they just consider all universities? There are probably some excellent guys at somewhere like York or whatever who have excellent extracurriculars, excellent work experience, have networked a lot and know a lot about the industry and can build good relationships with clients. Surely there are people at non-target schools who have better profiles than some people at targets? Banking doesn't really require you to be a genius.

Some of the big4 have recently got rid of UCAS requirements because they said that a lot of great candidates were being eliminated by their previous system. Why don't banks do the same thing with target schools?

'Target' only means 'we have historical evidence that the majority of successful applicants can be found in these environments'. It's simple economics therefore to spend the HR/recruitment resources on these more 'target rich' environments than send a team up to York to pick up the one or two good candidates from there. The candidates from York can still apply and will be assessed on the same merits as applicants from the 'target' unis. It's just a resource allocation/recruitment efficiency thing.
Original post by threeportdrift
'Target' only means 'we have historical evidence that the majority of successful applicants can be found in these environments'. It's simple economics therefore to spend the HR/recruitment resources on these more 'target rich' environments than send a team up to York to pick up the one or two good candidates from there. The candidates from York can still apply and will be assessed on the same merits as applicants from the 'target' unis. It's just a resource allocation/recruitment efficiency thing.

This has hit it^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ladbants
Why do they exclusively (bar a few exceptions) recruit from these top universities? Why don't they just consider all universities?
What makes you think they "exclusively" recruit from certain unis? This is clearly false as plenty of people are recruited from non-targets, albeit few in comparison to targets/semi-targets.
To answer your question, investment banks can afford to be very selective in contrast to big4 and I think you know why, because they do not have to chase graduates, it's the complete opposite.

It is quite palpable that a so called "target" university will produce students who have greater intellectual capacity - arguable, but in most cases true.

Secondly, because of alumni. They like to push their own 'people' into the sphere of banking. These influential executives most likely attended Oxbridge, LSE, etc rather than Exeter or something along the likes.

At the end of the day, university is a significant determinant of one's success, but is not the end game.
Reply 12
Sorry, but unless you know people you dont stand a chance if you dont go to a target/semi target. Their system automatically excludes you if you are from non-target so a human being doesnt even review ur application.
I dare someone here to prove that someone from non target who doesnt know anyone in the bank has applied online and has gotten an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
can someone give me a list of uni targets ? Is nottingham a target uni ?
Original post by fefssdf
can someone give me a list of uni targets ? Is nottingham a target uni ?

Nottingham is a strong semi-target so a student from Nottingham who has very good grades, extracurricular activities and some work experience and a knowledge of finance will have a good chance, much like a target student.
The targets are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. Bristol and Nottingham are semi-targets.
Original post by Trapz99
Nottingham is a strong semi-target so a student from Nottingham who has very good grades, extracurricular activities and some work experience and a knowledge of finance will have a good chance, much like a target student.
The targets are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick. Bristol and Nottingham are semi-targets.

oh ok thanks a lot, what about manchester would that be considered more favourably ?
Original post by fefssdf
oh ok thanks a lot, what about manchester would that be considered more favourably ?

No. Nottingham is as much of a semi-target as Manchester, but it does send more people into banking so I think you might have a slight advantage at Nottingham. Nottingham also has a very small tiring finance society where you can network with other students interested in banking and sometimes with actual bankers. You'll be fine with Nottingham.
Original post by Trapz99
No. Nottingham is as much of a semi-target as Manchester, but it does send more people into banking so I think you might have a slight advantage at Nottingham. Nottingham also has a very small tiring finance society where you can network with other students interested in banking and sometimes with actual bankers.

yh and I think they said the maths society was sponsored by Deloitte - is this a good financial firm ? I'm a bit lost on the subject
Original post by fefssdf
yh and I think they said the maths society was sponsored by Deloitte - is this a good financial firm ? I'm a bit lost on the subject

Yeah Delloite is a top financial firm. It's not a bank but it provides accounting, consulting, actuarial, tax and legal services to clients. Loads of students of Nottingham and other good units go on to work there.

Btw I'm not a banker myself- I've just gained a lot of knowledge from bankers on LinkedIn and stuff and some of the banking careers websites like mergers&inquisitions and efinancialcareers
Original post by Trapz99
Yeah Delloite is a top financial firm. It's not a bank but it provides accounting, consulting, actuarial, tax and legal services to clients. Loads of students of Nottingham and other good units go on to work there.

Btw I'm not a banker myself- I've just gained a lot of knowledge from bankers on LinkedIn and stuff and some of the banking careers websites like mergers&inquisitions and efinancialcareers

oh right ok thanks that sounds good then ; I was thinking of teaching after a maths degree but now am thinking something finance related would be better so I'm interested to know these things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending