The Student Room Group

Is there any way to fund a second degree?

I am about to start my final year in zoology in an Irish university, and I was interested in doing a second degree in law in the UK. However I was given false information about finance for this, and have since discovered that this would only possible if I were planning on doing a degree in medicine or dentistry. Are there any other routes I could try for finance? Is there anyone here who's done it themselves? Or would this only really be possible if I won the lotto?

I expect to graduate with at least a 2:1, if grades from previous years are anything to go by. I can do a diploma in law with the Law Society of Ireland, and will if I can't find a reasonable way of funding this, but I honestly think actually having a law degree would be much better for my career.
Original post by Nessa859
I am about to start my final year in zoology in an Irish university, and I was interested in doing a second degree in law in the UK. However I was given false information about finance for this, and have since discovered that this would only possible if I were planning on doing a degree in medicine or dentistry. Are there any other routes I could try for finance? Is there anyone here who's done it themselves? Or would this only really be possible if I won the lotto?

I expect to graduate with at least a 2:1, if grades from previous years are anything to go by. I can do a diploma in law with the Law Society of Ireland, and will if I can't find a reasonable way of funding this, but I honestly think actually having a law degree would be much better for my career.

Certainly you couldn't get funding from student finance in the UK for a second undergraduate degree in law. If you studied the Graduate Diploma in Law then I believe you would qualify for one of the new £10,000 postgraduate loans as long as you have lived in the EU or England for the last 3 years for reasons other than for education. However with law you need to consider where you would practice- Irish law is different to English/Welsh law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Certainly you couldn't get funding from student finance in the UK for a second undergraduate degree in law. If you studied the Graduate Diploma in Law then I believe you would qualify for one of the new £10,000 postgraduate loans as long as you have lived in the EU or England for the last 3 years for reasons other than for education. However with law you need to consider where you would practice- Irish law is different to English/Welsh law.

Where I study doesn't really matter much, once it's common law I'm studying. I'll still have to do a couple of years studying with the Law Society here before I can practice, and they're definitely okay with taking people who studied law in the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending