The Student Room Group

Uni Accmondation

Hi,

when would you decide to move near to your university? Is 2 hours difference enough from your home?
Original post by coreHelp
Hi,

when would you decide to move near to your university? Is 2 hours difference enough from your home?

It's really down to a personal choice really, 2 hours sounds reasonable to get back home if you needed to though.
any thing over 30 mins really 2 hours would be 4 hours travelling which if your a good procrastinator is a good 3h of good studying or working each day (you cant do good work on a train or bus.
I'd say over 30 minutes is when uni housing becomes something to consider, just over an hour is a doable commute but only temporarily, once you get to 1h30 each way living at uni starts becoming a necessity.
I live 40 minutes away from mine by train. So glad I decided to live near the campus, five minute walk. Not only did it allow for convenience, but as an introvert it helped me gain more independence, confidence and gave me the drive to meet new people. The number of great people I met in my first year staggers me, with more to meet next it, it opens up possibilities.

Seriously though, Uni is nothing like school. Alright my course did become very group centric, but the number of people you will meet who have similar interests to you is fantastic. On a course like mine (graphics design & illustration) as it a very specific subject, my course mates all share common interests that made those first few weeks a lot better.
Original post by coreHelp
Hi,

Hello :smile:

It depends on what you want to do. Some people move hours away from home, like 4+ and that's right from them. Others it's an hour and others, it's literally 2 minutes. I've known people to live in the city but move to campus or a student house just because they wanted the independence.

Quick Reply

Latest