The Student Room Group

Desperate to do something with my life, bad grades, depression..

Hi all, this is my first post, sorry if it's on the wrong part of the forum section.
I've just turned 20 and I am desperate to become SOMETHING. I work full time at a local shop because I'm an idiot and messed up at school. All I have is a C in English, also passed ICT&P.E. I won't even talk about my science grade. I got a D in maths but I've been considering retaking it this year. Is there any hope for me to go to Uni with such pathetic grades and no A levels? I really don't know much about this at all. I love sport and over the last year I've had an obsession with wanting to be a PE teacher but I'm pretty sure that won't be possible for someone with these qualifications. I know the basics of computers and it's something I've been interested in learning more about and possibly having a career in. But again, I don't see what id be able to do in my position. I don't talk to anyone anymore and one of the reasons uni interests me is because I know for a fact it would change me for the better. I need to meet new people and get out of where I live. If anyone has any sort of advice for what a guy in my position could do then I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
Firstly try and retake to your maths to get a C. It will help you a lot and English/Maths at C grade is almost essential for anything. Would you want to study for a levels/BTECH or try and get into uni from another angle?
start your own business, you dont need gcse or alevels for that
Reply 3
Have thought about apprenticeship? Usually you work and get a BTEC or similar degree. And some apprenticeship will also help you gain a university level degree too.

You can always just go back and take your A levels or do a BTEC. I would definitely recommend retaking maths to at least have a c
Original post by Maxwell96
Hi all, this is my first post, sorry if it's on the wrong part of the forum section.
I've just turned 20 and I am desperate to become SOMETHING. I work full time at a local shop because I'm an idiot and messed up at school. All I have is a C in English, also passed ICT&P.E. I won't even talk about my science grade. I got a D in maths but I've been considering retaking it this year. Is there any hope for me to go to Uni with such pathetic grades and no A levels? I really don't know much about this at all. I love sport and over the last year I've had an obsession with wanting to be a PE teacher but I'm pretty sure that won't be possible for someone with these qualifications. I know the basics of computers and it's something I've been interested in learning more about and possibly having a career in. But again, I don't see what id be able to do in my position. I don't talk to anyone anymore and one of the reasons uni interests me is because I know for a fact it would change me for the better. I need to meet new people and get out of where I live. If anyone has any sort of advice for what a guy in my position could do then I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Use your love of sports to get into coaching. Gyms are always looking for coaching staff, get down there and see what qualifications/experience is necessary. Volunteer to work with kids on some sports summer coaching scheme. Look for coaching roles in schools. Get some basic GCSEs.

You won't get into Uni without A levels (or equivs) and anyway, why would you want to get into £40k+ of debt for something you haven't planned and got a purpose for?

Redo GCSE English/Maths, try to do higher tier so you aren't limited to a C, even if its homeschooling at places like oxford open learning. IT BTEC L2 then L3 once GCSE's sorted, aim at the highest never lowest or minimum. That would U turn your life around for a fresh start.

Also, try codeacademy and learn to code during the summer.
Hey :smile:
I'm so sorry with how you're feeling and I know it's easier said than done but please try to remain positive. You're only 20, you'll have many chances and you are something x
Have you by any chance considered taking a year out to re-do your A levels but as a private candidate? I know people who have and are currently doing this where they either self-taught or hired a private tutor that they meet up with twice a week. You could join a college but because you're over 19, you'd have to pay for your education since funding isn't provided for students 19 and over. This however could be a good option since you'd have the support of qualified teachers which is beneficial since many a level subjects i.e English Language, Literature, History, Psychology etc have been reformed meaning they have new formats and syllabuses compared to pre 2015 or pre 2016. The only thing is you'd most likely have to study your A levels in the duration of two years. This isn't a bad thing but for people who've already been through sixth form/sixth form college and are working it could be a bit more challenging as with being a private candidate you to decide your study hours- giving flexibility unlike set school hours i.e 9am-3pm etc that's mandatory in college/school.
You could take an access course which can be done in a year but here I'd advise you do so with a college.
With the grades you have, when you had explained that you had passed do you mean grade E or grade C? So C,E,E,D or C,C,C,D?
You could apply to university for next year but I think you re-sitting would give you more options regarding the universities you could apply to and courses x
It's never too late! You can always go to college and retake maths. Then do a course your interested in and do an apprenticeship or do alevels and go to uni:smile:

I know this because my mum gave birth to me young so she didn't go to uni but she retook her maths and did childcare course with apprenticeship in college she's been working there for 2 years and a few months ago, they offered her a position for deputy manager! So anything is possible,age does not count!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My bad, I assumed you had taken A levels. If these are GCSE grades, I'd give the same advice. I highly recommend you resit them then take either continue onto taking A levels privately or with a college or BTEC if you're looking to later apply for university x

Don't know if you've ever skied before, but doing a ski season may be of interest to you. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=346509
I was in exactly the same place as you when I was 20, did my GCSE's, I got 5 C's with a D in maths. I went to college and didn't know what I wanted to do and I had a hard time progressing along the education ladder leaving me at 20, unemployed and not knowing what to do with myself.

I wish I had someone to give me realistic paths to somewhere I would interested in.

You have said something.. and that is this idea of being a PE teacher. You are likely to think this is possibly because you have experience of this already, and know what is expected and can see yourself doing that.

From my experience of friends from school that have gone on to become PE teachers, they did a course at Cardiff Met of BSc Sports and Physical Education together and one is now a PE teacher as planned and the other has been recently coaching football in America or Soccer as they like to call it over the pond and his facebook photos show him having a great time! To be honest Cardiff Met is not considered a target uni so similar ranked universities, if you spoke with them that this is something you are passionate about you might get admitted to a sports degree.

My town / county has an apprenticeship scheme which seems to hire 18/19 year olds who then go round the schools and teach sports.

You could go from the supermarket to membership sales at the local gym.

If you want to go the academic route then I would strongly suggest an Access to HE course. You can now get a loan for 19+ which is wiped of if you finish uni (if not then you dont pay it back till you're on 21k)

The great thing about that course is you don't take exams and you'll be with people your own age and get lets of support. If you have any questions let me know. There is one aimed at education.
Two options I think I would recommend:

First you could look at doing a Foundation Year at a university, for people who don't meet the A-level requirements.

Second, you could go to a sixth form college and do your A-levels. You'd have to pay for it though.

Have you looked at how you would become a P.E. teacher btw? You might not need to go to university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Start a business. Open a supplement shop selling whey etc. Youd only need a loan of £20k or so
Yeah coaching is a good idea go get that C at GCSE there are degrees in PE and things but you'll need a level 3 qualification for that (A levels or Btec or NVQ) see if you can get a apprenticeship in a sports related industry get your lv 3 the go the way you want. The OU may be a good idea in your position
To get from your situation to becoming a PE teacher, I would take the following steps:

1. Sit maths (and maybe science) GCSE,
2. Take an Access to HE (Science) course, preferably one that includes a physics module as well as biology (physics will be useful for step 3),
3. Do a degree in Sports Science or Sports Coaching (look for one that supports you to get professional coaching qualifications alongside your degree),
4. Take a PGCE to get qualified as a teacher.

That should take you 6 years altogether, but the journey itself should be enjoyable if it's the right career for you.

Quick Reply