The Student Room Group

Is this a sackable offence?

i am currently doing an electrical apprenticeship. Basically what happened is my company took part in a charity event, i collected sponsor money way before this event, so like a typical 18 year old I spent it thinking i would just take money from my bank and hand it in when needed. The weekend before they asked for the money to be handed in i went on a heavy (expensive) night out and didn't have enough money to pay them. I phoned my bosses up and let them know this, i said they can take the sponsor money from my next wage. 2 days later i get called into the office and am handed a letter saying i have a disciplinary hearing tomorrow. Is this a sackable offence? What is my likely punishment?
depends on the individual company how seriously they take it, definitely sackable as technically you stole the sponsor money in the company's eyes
You spent money that didnt belong to you. Yes they could disipline you for it. Iy depends how serious they view it.
I would've thought at best it's appropriation, so yes, a sackable offence. Especially as you haven't paid it back. What did they say on the phone to you when you told them, like how did they take it?
Reply 4
You took money that was for charity.
This definitely sounds like a sackable offence. You took money that people had donated to charity, and instead of paying them when they asked you told them you had spent it and didn't have it to give them. It depends on how seriously they'll take it and how well you explain yourself, but it sounds like you'll be lucky to come out of the hearing with a job still. You took money that people donated to go to charity. It's pretty bad.
Reply 6
Absolutely yes as it is theft and bringing the company in to disrepute. What happens depends on how they otherwise feel about you and what precedents they have and want to set. In your favour you were transparent and if you can come up with any other mitigating circumstances and get some union representation all to the good.
It looks bad taking money that is meant for charity. On the plus side you did fess up and offered to pay it back. *Is it a big company and was it a lot of money collected? *Is it possible for your parents to pay it back on your behalf until you get paid? *Least that way the charity is not out of pocket. Ultimately, it is your company's decision on what your punishment will be. It might just be a warning but it could be worse. Get your union to advise.you.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending