The Student Room Group

Requirements to get into Oxford (International Student)

Hey, I am new here and would like some help. I am trying for Oxford University.....
Medical Science - UnderGrad.. I would kindly like to know the requirements to get in... Like Is BMAT needed and what is a really good score... I am an Indian and therefore study the CBSE Curriculum..

Thanks In Advance :smile:
The website says:

Year XII qualification, studied with either the CBSE or ISC examination boards, with an achievement of 90% in each of the five subjects studied. Science subjects may also require that candidates take the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) entrance examinations as a pre-condition for entry.

A level students must take Chemistry and at least one of Biology, Physics or Mathematics, so it is safe to assume that you need to take these subjects too. I believe Oxford prefers applicants with a 6 or better in the BMAT but there are no set requirements. I suggest you look in the Medicine forum, they have loads of resources for planning your application and preparing for the BMAT.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Oh ok... Thanks a lot :smile:
The mean BMAT score for an offer holder is 6.3.

But that is for domestic applicants - international entry is ridiculously competitive. Averaged over the last 5 years, the average applicant to offer ratio is 70. You will need to be outstanding, both for BMAT and in other areas, to get in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh ok... And what about extra curricular activities..? Thanks a lot BTW :smile:
Good as interview fodder if relevant to the course otherwise not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MainBOI
Oh ok... And what about extra curricular activities..? Thanks a lot BTW :smile:

You will be expected to have medical work experience and for Oxford scientific research experience won't hurt either.

As I say, 70 applicants per place. You will need to have everything to be successful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending