The Student Room Group

Once the UK stops taking in muslim migrants and refugees, will rest of Europe follow?

Once the UK stops taking in muslims migrants and refugees after Brexit, and the US does the same assuming Trump wins the election, will the rest of Europe follow?

Scroll to see replies

inb4 thread gets deleted.

Neither the UK nor Trump will actually "stop" muslim migration. Its very unrealistic in my oppinion.
Original post by orton6
Once the UK stops taking in muslims migrants and refugees after Brexit, and the US does the same assuming Trump wins the election, will the rest of Europe follow?

Neither will happen, so probably not.
I'd be surprised if it happens here nevermind anywhere else
Reply 4
Original post by Galaxie501
inb4 thread gets deleted.

Neither the UK nor Trump will actually "stop" muslim migration. Its very unrealistic in my oppinion.

Why? The EU controlled most of our migrant and refugee intake, and the British people made it clear they don't want this anymore.

Trump seems very set on doing this, and polls show he will win. Most Americans support him too according to more polls
Original post by orton6
Why? The EU controlled most of our migrant and refugee intake, and the British people made it clear they don't want this anymore.

Trump seems very set on doing this, and polls show he will win. Most Americans support him too according to more polls

Because they're democracies and presidents, PMs and Chancellors dont get to do what they like. Laws and bills need to be passed, and you can be sure as hell that most people will not allow this. 100% of left wing politicians would be against it, and probably a significant number of conservatives as well.

In my view at least.
I don't really get how this would work practically because how can you test if someone is a Muslim? Like even if Trump decided to stop anyone with beards or headscarves getting into America there will still be less 'stereotypical' Muslims and how is that measured? I just don't see it working
Reply 7
Original post by infairverona
I don't really get how this would work practically because how can you test if someone is a Muslim? Like even if Trump decided to stop anyone with beards or headscarves getting into America there will still be less 'stereotypical' Muslims and how is that measured? I just don't see it working

They know :-)
Original post by orton6
They know :-)

But how? I've met a lot of people before and would never have thought they were Muslim and it turned out they were?
Reply 9
Original post by infairverona
But how? I've met a lot of people before and would never have thought they were Muslim and it turned out they were?

But you aren't the US government / their intelligence agencies are you.
Original post by orton6
But you aren't the US government / their intelligence agencies are you.

Of course not but how are they going to check every single person coming and going into the country?
Browsing TSR of late feels uncannily like entering a parallel timeline in which George Orwell was a dustman.
Original post by orton6

You keep being told that brexit is nothing to do with how many refugees the UK takes in, but still you insist on repeating your silly threads.

UK controls its own borders.
The EU affects the UK and vice versa because of the free movement of EU citizens.

You are blatantly anti muslim.

The UK has signed international agreements agreeing to international obligations to hear the claims of sylum seekers and probide sanctuary to refugees where they prove they are fleeing persecution. That has nothing to do with the EU and will continue after Brexit.

All this has already been explained to you several times.
The UK will not stop taking refugees irrespective of whether they are muslims or not.
Original post by orton6

LOL, so many misguided Brexit votes :rofl:
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
You keep being told that brexit is nothing to do with how many refugees the UK takes in, but still you insist on repeating your silly threads.

UK controls its own borders.
The EU affects the UK and vice versa because of the free movement of EU citizens.

You are blatantly anti muslim.

The UK has signed international agreements agreeing to international obligations to hear the claims of sylum seekers and probide sanctuary to refugees where they prove they are fleeing persecution. That has nothing to do with the EU and will continue after Brexit.

All this has already been explained to you several times.
The UK will not stop taking refugees irrespective of whether they are muslims or not.

No matter how many times you say the EU has nothing to do with our migrant and refugee intake, you're wrong.

If the EU has nothing to do with migrant / refugee intake, then why is it that every EU country has huge amounts of migrants and refugees too, whilst countries like Australia, Canada, US, New Zealand etc. don't have these problems.

Use your brain and stop trolling.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's put aside the first few comments which are the usual responses to a thread which is seemingly controversial.

The UK has committed to bringing in 20,000 refugees over the term of five years, but a report which came out a few days ago shows the British government is not on track to reaching its afore set target and that the UK hasn't even managed to settle 3,000 people since 2015.

Theresa May is unlikely to challenge this as she knows it's neither in her party's nor the country's interests to settle refugees from abroad in the United Kingdom, with opinion polls from YouGov conducted in late 2015 showing that just 20% of people want to see Britain admit a higher number of refugees and 49% saying we should accept either smaller numbers or none at all.

In Germany, the AFD Party has been taking many votes away from the CDU as a result of Merkel's open door immigration policy. It's unlikely that Merkel will rerun for Chancellor in 2017 and it's more than possible that the CDU will elect someone who's more hardline on immigration to appease many of the votes the CDU has lost to populist parties.

All over Europe, the rise of right-wing populism is more than enough for people to acknowledge that multiculturalism and the refugee crisis are serious issues concerning today's voters. The Front National in France are leading the French opinion polls; the PVV in the Netherlands are also leading in the Dutch polls; and there's a very high likelihood that Austria's Freedom Party will win election later this year.

To those who are saying Donald Trump won't win in the US, I'd welcome them to take a look at the recent opinion polls as they will show the contrary. Donald Trump is challenging handsomely in contested states like Ohio and Pennsylvania so I wouldn't rule his potential of becoming the US's next president out just yet.

The political landscape is most certainly changing. The abandonment of political correctness and the preservation of western values should be welcome and no longer should we appease reckless leftism.
Reply 16
Lol idk.
Reply 17
I sincerely hope the rest of Europe keep admitting refugees, something I also hope the UK and USA continue to do.
Reply 18
Original post by -Miracle
LOL, so many misguided Brexit votes :rofl:

Instead of blindly saying Brexit voters are misguided, why not answer what I said in my above post:

If the EU has nothing to do with migrant / refugee intake, then why is it that every EU country has huge amounts of migrants and refugees on an unprescedented scale, whilst countries like Australia, Canada, US, New Zealand etc. don't have these problems.
(edited 7 years ago)
What do you mean by Muslim immigrants? Do you mean people who are Muslims and who come here on an indefinite basis? Or just banning any Muslim from entering the country?
You do realise there are Muslim scientists, academics, students and professionals who come to work/study here for temporary periods, yes? I doubt those will be affected.
If you're talking about unskilled labourers from the Muslim world, I am sure the numbers will be reduced after all of those terrorist events, nothing to do with Brexit though, only idiots think that the EU controls our borders in terms of the numbers of Muslim workers we let in, not including refugees that is.

If, however, you are talking about a complete ban of Muslims, I don't that would happen, it's against our values. How will you differentiate between Muslims and ex-Muslims (those born in Muslim families but themselves are not Muslims, i.e. do not believe in Islam)? And how is the method you're going to come up with is perfect, i.e. no Muslims will be able to cheat through it?

Quick Reply

Latest