The Student Room Group

Sharp continuous pain in right ovary area not going- what to do?

I'm 17 and for about 1.5 I've had really painful stabbing pains in the same area in my lower abdomen, around my ovary is. I have a high pain tolerance but I'm in agony and I've never experienced anything like this before. I was out walking so I thought it was just a stitch but it seems to have got slightly worse as now the stabbing pains aren't stopping. I know you shouldn't really post stuff on forums like this but I don't want to go to the doctors unless I really need to. I'm thinking I can just take paracetamol and let the pain pass but I'm concerned that it's something a bit serious as I've never had anything this bad. Pain has never lasted this length of time. I don't think it's appendicitis because I don't have fever or anything and the pain hasn't started from my belly button region. . I can't sleep, I haven't moved from the same position and I'm wondering if anybody has experienced anything similar? I just want it to stop. Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
I have experienced something similar and it turned out to be an ovarian cyst. It was nothing serious but they can sometimes be painful and they can be excruciating if it ruptures.

It could be anything - a cyst, an urine infection, ovulation or even appendicitis - sometimes that doesn't always present itself with fevers, loss of appetite, starting from the belly button and then spreading etc.

Its definitely worth getting checked out by the doctor, especially if its that painful its stopping you from sleeping. If its too painful to move, you could always request a home visit from the doctor.
Reply 2
Assuming you're in the Uk, you could try ringing 111, then you can describe your symptoms to the person on the phone and they do their best to advise what you should do/who you should see. It's an nhs service, so a good idea to see what they say.
Sounds like an A&E job, unfortunately. Taking regular paracetamol as you're doing now is a good idea in the mean time.
I've had something similar 4 times in the past 9 years. Every time my parents would freak out and take me to A&E thinking I had appendicitis. I've had it twice in the past 6 months and the doctors were saying it could be a liver problem (it wasn't), a abnormal case of appendicitis, gallbladder (said I was too young for that), kidney stones, or possibly an ovarian cyst which has burst. I think it was probably an ovarian cyst (but the first time I had this I was 9), but I would definitely get it checked out with a doctor. If the pain is getting increasingly worse, maybe head to A+E to double check it's not appendicitis. Is it 1.5 days or months?? The severe pain for me usually lasted 2 days and would gradually die down.
Original post by Spock's Socks
I have experienced something similar and it turned out to be an ovarian cyst. It was nothing serious but they can sometimes be painful and they can be excruciating if it ruptures.

It could be anything - a cyst, an urine infection, ovulation or even appendicitis - sometimes that doesn't always present itself with fevers, loss of appetite, starting from the belly button and then spreading etc.

Its definitely worth getting checked out by the doctor, especially if its that painful its stopping you from sleeping. If its too painful to move, you could always request a home visit from the doctor.

How did they diagnose the ovarian cyst (if you don't mind me asking haha)?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
How did they diagnose the ovarian cyst (if you don't mind me asking haha)?

I had an ultrasound done. I went to A&E thinking I had a bad urine infection so they done an ultrasound to check my kidneys and found that cyst instead and realised that was causing my pain and not an infection.
Reply 7
Thank you for all your replies! Its given me a little peace at mind. It's still there but no where near as bad as it was last night. I think i was just having a panic in the moment because it got so bad but it's certainly died down now. The one thing I was worried about was a possible rupture in a cyst but I'm assuming I would still be in lots of pain if that was the case so I'll just see how today goes and go to the doctors if it continues. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest