Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Ab-Initio Chinese at UoB

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi everyone!
    I'm a Law student who has signed up for an open unit in ab-initio Mandarin Chinese for this coming year. I'm not of Asian origin and, while I have had some success studying European languages (A in Spanish at A Level, A* in French GCSE), and have a decent understanding of a Bantu language, I'm absolutely bricking AI Mandarin. I've heard that a lot of people who sign up to this course have already studied it before, whereas I will be a complete beginner, and I'm worried about balancing a new language with the demands of 2nd year Law. I'm considering changing to Spanish or French as an open unit instead.
    Has anybody got any experience in learning a language at university from scratch? Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Especially as my grades in this will count towards my degree classification...
    Thank you in advance!

Honestly, I don't see the point in doing one module in beginners Chinese on top of your university studies. It will be very difficult, time consuming and you won't learn much anyway. Even students who spend 4 years at university studying Chinese rarely graduate with anything close to real fluency, how much can anyone hope to learn from one open unit module?

Improving your Spanish or getting your French to A level standard will, I think, be much more useful than learning very basic Chinese.

Thank you so much for your advice, I definitely see what you mean and I agree!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.