The Student Room Group

University or Job?

Sadly I'm completely crap at decision making and I just wanted to hear what others thought about the choices I'm facing at the moment.

I currently have a unconditional offer to study English Literature at Sheffield university this year and I think I'd enjoy it. However a opportunity has arisen for me to become a trainee veterinary nurse at a local vets which is also very tempting. Which leaves me stuck between studying or getting a job. Both have pro's and con's but none of them leave feeling any wiser in terms of making an actual decision. I know it's down to me in the end as I'm the one who's going to be doing it but I just feel absolutely stuck :confused:

Has anyone here faced a similar dilemma? What did you do? Do you regret the choice you made? Would you have done things differently in hindsight? What would you do in my position?
Reply 1
Well the degree gives you more chance of options later on, whilst the job is a definite option right now, so you have to decide whether to take a slight chance with a degree which may or may not give you a really nice job later on, or go for the safe option of a job which is quite secure but not all that much chance of improving. If I were you, I'd go to Uni. Other job opportunities may arise anyway if it goes pear shaped. But it's a decision you have to make carefully.
go to university - you shall regret 4eva wiv hindsight
Reply 3
why not take the job, do it for a year or two and if it makes you happy stick to it. If your unhappy then you can always go to uni at a later date.
If I may ask, how old are you? If you've recently finished sixth form, you've got flexibility here - you can give the job a go, and then go to uni later if you change your mind. But if you think you'll want to go to uni at some point, try to get it in before age 25, so you qualify for state funding. It's much more expensive as a mature student.
Reply 5
ThePants999
If I may ask, how old are you? If you've recently finished sixth form, you've got flexibility here - you can give the job a go, and then go to uni later if you change your mind. But if you think you'll want to go to uni at some point, try to get it in before age 25, so you qualify for state funding. It's much more expensive as a mature student.

Don't mind at all, I'm 24 :smile: One of the reaons I'm seriously considering going to uni this year, because the longer I leave it, the harder it will be, socially and in terms of finance. I guess I could always become a trainee vet nurse after my degree if working in my other areas of interest such as publishing or academia don't work out. Although I'm worried I'd be leaving that a bit too late to stand a chance of getting a apprenticeship :confused:
I can't see you'll have age-related problems. If you were 54, perhaps, but 24 (or 27, as it will be)... it's more likely to be an advantage!

Equally, do bear in mind that with all the threads on here about people struggling to find jobs with "general" degrees, do make sure you'd be going to uni for an enjoyable three years studying something you're passionate about, not just as a tentative career step.

Latest

Trending

Trending