The Student Room Group

Why is IQ on the decline in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Bill_Gates
lol not really, just showing the relative decline of the UK compared to the rest of the world. My IQ is 130+ i can assure you :tongue:

you are applying it well with these threads
Original post by Bill_Gates
it's all going to the dogs. Look at Singapore and Hong Kong, not long before they're a standard deviation above on current trends.

That's just 'cos they are factory farmed and driven. Also higher average doesn't mean more geniuses. To break that down it doesn't mean more exceptionally high IQ's if variation is less, and I'd argue genius comes from originality and is only somewhat correlated to IQ.
Original post by tanyapotter
People who suggest it's because of environmental factors are so ignorant. IQ is not the same thing as knowledge gained from education. It's innate intellectual ability.

I disagree. It's mostly about how you have learned things and what you have learned which is based on environmental factors, not "innate".
Test scores for intelligence aren't IMO good indicators of 'intelligence'. Gives an idea of ballpark, though. So clinically useful, but not so sure how useful it would be for general population.

But anyway, our relative 'intelligence' to other countries can be put down to socially constructed importance of being intelligent (much much more important in other countries), and also our education system is a. underfunded, and b. a pile of bureaucratic doggy... droppings. Most of our teachers simply quit because it is so bad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ByronicHero
IQ tests are fun (IMO) but largely a waste of time. The results are mildly predictive but broadly irrelevant.

Towers of Hanoi <3
Immigration and SJW.
Original post by ByronicHero
Then you should know that stating a number is far less useful than stating a percentile as different tests use different standard deviations. People taking tests via British Mensa might, for example, take the Cattell III B which has a standard deviation of 24 as opposed to the more commonly used Wechsler. This would allow them to claim an IQ of, say, 132 on the former test despite only scoring a 120 on the latter :tongue:

Anyway, I hope having a high IQ brings you much happiness :moon:

i am really happy tbh. No mortgage, great business, drive a nice car etc.

Sorry didn't read what you said above, attention span is too low.
Because instead of using their brain to problem solve they are so obsessed with their ego that they shove their head up their arse and pontificate over their worthiness instead. IE

Brainy person: OH look ive made an error, I wonder what I have done wrong then and how I can correct it.

Stupid person: OH look ive made an error, I must be worthless, I hate myself, I'm going to get therapy, take antidepressants and go to bed for 5 years to recover.....

Its either that or too much corn syrup and sugar...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending