The Student Room Group

Why is IQ on the decline in the UK?

Why is IQ on the decline in the UK?

Whilst countries like China who have WAY less resources per head have much higher IQ at 105 and increasing still..........

Scroll to see replies

Remain mindful of the fact that fewer people take official IQ tests than they did, for example, a couple of decades ago. With the advancements in technology also, IQ tests need to be redesigned to accommodate the changes in way of thought.
Reply 2
Anime
My IQ for being a Brit is quite high then, feel honoured :u:
Why is IQ in decline in the UK? Regarding our country's youth I would say it is because of the lack of discipline and guidance the parents provide, or rather don't provide their children. True is kids in the UK and the west are spoiled, privileged little shits and they behave like they are. They have never had to work hard for anything their entire life's. So thus they procrastinate, they do things they want to do, rather then things they should do, to improve their futures. That's why IQ is falling amoung UK youngsters.
Because people have become obsessed with vapid superficial celebrities like the Kardashians, aspiring to nothing more than being just like them, and feed their brains rotten bs from websites like the daily mail and buzzfeed.
Reply 6
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
Why is IQ in decline in the UK? Regarding our country's youth I would say it is because of the lack of discipline and guidance the parents provide, or rather don't provide their children. True is kids in the UK and the west are spoiled, privileged little shits and they behave like they are. They have never had to work hard for anything their entire life's. So thus they procrastinate, they do things they want to do, rather then things they should do, to improve their futures. That's why IQ is falling amoung UK youngsters.

Very stereotypical and has little basis in reality.

Young people are suffering from a culture which has been fuelled by mass consumerism, and it has become so ridiculous that people are more interested in fashion than their own education or future. Society has changed rapidly in a short time, and this is the result
Original post by Wellzi
Very stereotypical and has little basis in reality.

Young people are suffering from a culture which has been fuelled by mass consumerism, and it has become so ridiculous that people are more interested in fashion than their own education or future. Society has changed rapidly in a short time, and this is the result

Very true point you make about the effect of globalisation on culture and consumerism. However you can't be purely one sided in you're reasoning. There are many different factors contributing to the moral, social and intellectual decline in our nations youth. For example, if you have parents with a negative view of education, by process of proximity, the child itself will I turn develop the same attitude towards education, achievement and ultimately how they view the world. Because after all the apple never falls far from the tree. Something I am sure you can find reason in.
Reply 8
Inbreeding?
Original post by 130398
Anime

13754533_940999656022424_3030358674424087075_n.jpg
Reply 10
Original post by Settle
Because people have become obsessed with vapid superficial celebrities like the Kardashians, aspiring to nothing more than being just like them, and feed their brains rotten bs from websites like the daily mail and buzzfeed.

true

true
Because the IQ test is inaccurate.
Reply 13
More people than ever aspiring to become nonintellectual reality TV stars
Reply 14
Brexit! :angry:

I think education has a large influence on IQ, and that it doesn't really determine some innate, fixed quality.
How many people have done an IQ test though in the UK?
source
1) People migrating from countries with lower average IQ into the UK. Intelligence is 80% inherited and 20% environmental therefore first and second generation immigrants will experience minimal IQ gains from enhanced education.
2) Oriental Asian countries have always scored highly on IQ tests. This could be due to higher cranial capacity than Negroids and Caucasians.
3) The education system could be another factor. It seems to me that there is no critical thinking required these days and it's all about regurgitation from a book/ the internet.
Reply 18
Original post by Cap.Henry Avery
Very true point you make about the effect of globalisation on culture and consumerism. However you can't be purely one sided in you're reasoning. There are many different factors contributing to the moral, social and intellectual decline in our nations youth. For example, if you have parents with a negative view of education, by process of proximity, the child itself will I turn develop the same attitude towards education, achievement and ultimately how they view the world. Because after all the apple never falls far from the tree. Something I am sure you can find reason in.

Of course, though I don't think many people have negative views of efucation, it's just that they aren't as obsessive as the average Chinese parent
People who suggest it's because of environmental factors are so ignorant. IQ is not the same thing as knowledge gained from education. It's innate intellectual ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending