The Student Room Group

Clingy Co-Worker

Hi Guys,

So I am a very friendly person and I also have a bubbly character. When I meet people for the first time they instantly take a liking to me. So I work at a small but sort of large IT company as an engineer and I have been working here for nearly 2 years now(in september).

We recently employed an engineer who used to be a network manager(at her previous workplace but now she is a 1st line support engineer just like me). Since I smiled at her and chatted with her for a few minutes on her first day, she has been so clingy and will not let me breathe. She applied for a field engineering role here but due to the fact that she is always sick like everyday and due to the fact that she is not that technical (am still shocked she was managing a network team and she even said she always fix network issues for her colleagues- so am a bit shocked that she was not technical and they are paying her lots of money for the same job am doing but I dont care, its none of my business).

Anyways, since that day and since I have been showing her the ropes (since am one of the long lasting engineers here - everyone else are new) she doesnt leave me alone. She started here in mid Janaury and now we are about to go into August and she is always asking me questions even though I have showed them to her about 50 times already. Its like whatever I tell her go in one ear and comes out of the other ear. She even created a guide to help her but she still asks me the same questions!!!

I told her off last week that I am busy and I am tryinng to work and my work has slowed down because of her. What I hate the most is the fact that she boasts a lot about herself saying oh me and her do most of the work here whereas the others are cocky but if it wasnt coz of me, she will not still be working here as they would have sacked her as doesnt know **** but likes to baost).

I have already spoken to my manager about this and he has had a word with her, she didnt talk to me for a couple of hours but then started all over again. I already told her off for been clingy and she would say "Oh because of my medication I always forget things", thats BS as she still manages to remember several incident that occured in January and everything I show her more than 50 times she cant seem to remember.

I really am fed up. Also she always messages me on whatsapp alongside my other colleague who she used to be clingy with him as well but he just ignored her and she only comes to him when I dont answer her or if I send her to him.

I have already gave her several hint like" oh Dan is so clingy always asking me questions all the time and every second and she says just tell him you are busy and am like he doesnt take no for an answer and she is like tell our boss and I am like I already did but he is still doing it and she is like such a person needs to be independent and stand on their own two feet"

I was like woow so she knows this but she is using me and draining me out and doing the same thing.

Personally, she doesnt have lots of friends she has friends but they are just people she says hello to and nothing else(thats what she told me)

I really am fed up and the last time I lost it with her. The only way out seems to be to quit this job but I dont want to as I am doing extremely well here and am not gonna leave coz of her and I also got a pay rise a month ago for my hard work.

So please guys, this girl does not take no for an answer she is absolutely clingy and its drivig me nuts. I even wanted to go to the bank to give something to my bf and I said its private and she said what was it about and I said its really private and she was just asking the question over and over againd pissing me off and she practically followed me to the bank even while I was collecting talking to the lady behind the counter.

This girl is always on whatsapp and she never leaves her phone, she is always on there and if I dont reply her she gets angry. Am so annoyed right now. She might even come next to me without me noticing.

I even told her, I prefer to be on my own as I love my own company, I dont need friends to have agood time (am been serious. I seriously dnt need friends and I have some few good friends but she is just on another level)

Talking to my boss seems not be effective so am just lost on what to do next as we are both sitting on the same table and there is no way for me to avoid her as all the engineers sit together and the managers sit together.

Please guys I need your help.

Sorry for the long story.
Original post by folashadeM
Hi Guys,

So I am a very friendly person and I also have a bubbly character. When I meet people for the first time they instantly take a liking to me. So I work at a small but sort of large IT company as an engineer and I have been working here for nearly 2 years now(in september).

We recently employed an engineer who used to be a network manager(at her previous workplace but now she is a 1st line support engineer just like me). Since I smiled at her and chatted with her for a few minutes on her first day, she has been so clingy and will not let me breathe. She applied for a field engineering role here but due to the fact that she is always sick like everyday and due to the fact that she is not that technical (am still shocked she was managing a network team and she even said she always fix network issues for her colleagues- so am a bit shocked that she was not technical and they are paying her lots of money for the same job am doing but I dont care, its none of my business).

Anyways, since that day and since I have been showing her the ropes (since am one of the long lasting engineers here - everyone else are new) she doesnt leave me alone. She started here in mid Janaury and now we are about to go into August and she is always asking me questions even though I have showed them to her about 50 times already. Its like whatever I tell her go in one ear and comes out of the other ear. She even created a guide to help her but she still asks me the same questions!!!

I told her off last week that I am busy and I am tryinng to work and my work has slowed down because of her. What I hate the most is the fact that she boasts a lot about herself saying oh me and her do most of the work here whereas the others are cocky but if it wasnt coz of me, she will not still be working here as they would have sacked her as doesnt know **** but likes to baost).

I have already spoken to my manager about this and he has had a word with her, she didnt talk to me for a couple of hours but then started all over again. I already told her off for been clingy and she would say "Oh because of my medication I always forget things", thats BS as she still manages to remember several incident that occured in January and everything I show her more than 50 times she cant seem to remember.

I really am fed up. Also she always messages me on whatsapp alongside my other colleague who she used to be clingy with him as well but he just ignored her and she only comes to him when I dont answer her or if I send her to him.

I have already gave her several hint like" oh Dan is so clingy always asking me questions all the time and every second and she says just tell him you are busy and am like he doesnt take no for an answer and she is like tell our boss and I am like I already did but he is still doing it and she is like such a person needs to be independent and stand on their own two feet"

I was like woow so she knows this but she is using me and draining me out and doing the same thing.

Personally, she doesnt have lots of friends she has friends but they are just people she says hello to and nothing else(thats what she told me)

I really am fed up and the last time I lost it with her. The only way out seems to be to quit this job but I dont want to as I am doing extremely well here and am not gonna leave coz of her and I also got a pay rise a month ago for my hard work.

So please guys, this girl does not take no for an answer she is absolutely clingy and its drivig me nuts. I even wanted to go to the bank to give something to my bf and I said its private and she said what was it about and I said its really private and she was just asking the question over and over againd pissing me off and she practically followed me to the bank even while I was collecting talking to the lady behind the counter.

This girl is always on whatsapp and she never leaves her phone, she is always on there and if I dont reply her she gets angry. Am so annoyed right now. She might even come next to me without me noticing.

I even told her, I prefer to be on my own as I love my own company, I dont need friends to have agood time (am been serious. I seriously dnt need friends and I have some few good friends but she is just on another level)

Talking to my boss seems not be effective so am just lost on what to do next as we are both sitting on the same table and there is no way for me to avoid her as all the engineers sit together and the managers sit together.

Please guys I need your help.

Sorry for the long story.

Definitely don't quit! It sounds like you're really good at what you do, and you clearly enjoy it so don't punish yourself by quitting. If speaking to your manager isn't helping, it sounds like it's time to try and give her a bit of cold shoulder for a bit. It's a bit mean, but if it's the only thing that works... For the company to keep on moving efficiently, you need to be able to get your own work down and she needs to carry her own weight too. It might be worth going to your manager and just saying 'I'm struggling to work efficiently with her essentially attached to my side all the time. She doesn't seem to take in anything I say and constantly asks the same questions. I think she's struggling. Would it be okay if she comes to you with her issues as I feel I'm not the right person to help her?' and after a few days of that your manager will probably have a better understanding

Quick Reply

Latest