The Student Room Group

An eggscellent brain teaser for you

If you have 1.5 chickens, who lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days how many eggs will you get from 6 chickens in 6 days?

:chicken:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If you have 1.5 chickens, who lay 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days how many eggs will you get from 6 chickens in 6 days?

How do you have 1 and a half chicken?
24...? :holmes:
6 eggs...

Yup, 24 is what I arrived at as well :five:

24?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by raniafern
How do you have 1 and a half chicken?

You must suspend your concept of reality in order to do this brainteaser :yep:

Original post by chemting
24...? :holmes:

I got 12 and I'm not sure what I missed out on :cry:
Reply 9

24! You have 4 times as many chickens (6 / 1.5) and 4 times as many days. 1.5 * 4 * 4 = 24.

Although in my opinion we shouldn't be forcing chickens to lay so many eggs. :wink:
Original post by jenhasdreams
24! You have 4 times as many chickens (6 / 1.5) and 4 times as many days. 1.5 * 4 * 4 = 24.

Although in my opinion we shouldn't be forcing chickens to lay so many eggs. :wink:

I got 3 chicken will you three eggs in 3 days, x2 because you have 6 chickens, so 12. :dunce:

When you put it your way it's really simple math.... :getmecoat:
I got 3 chicken will you three eggs in 3 days, x2 because you have 6 chickens, so 12. :dunce:

then x2 to get 6 days :wink:
Original post by surina16
then x2 to get 6 days :wink:

Ahh, of course :dunce:

I got a bit confused about whether you have 6 chickens every day of the week, or 6 chickens accross the whole week, you know?

This isn't right though - 3 chickens will get you 6 eggs in 3 days (2 times as many chickens, 2 times as many days).

Or: If 1.5 chickens lays 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days -> 1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1.5 days -> 1 chicken lays 2/3 of an egg in 1 day
6 chickens * 6 days * 2/3 of an egg = 24 eggs.
Original post by jenhasdreams
This isn't right though - 3 chickens will get you 6 eggs in 3 days (2 times as many chickens, 2 times as many days).

Or: If 1.5 chickens lays 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days -> 1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1.5 days -> 1 chicken lays 2/3 of an egg in 1 day
6 chickens * 6 days * 2/3 of an egg = 24 eggs.

Jen, you're killing me :rofl:

I'm so dumb :cry: :dunce:
Jen, you're killing me :rofl:

I'm so dumb :cry: :dunce:

It's called a brainteaser for a reason, it's not meant to be simple!

I think firstly just need to get your head around:
1.5 chickens lays 1.5 eggs in 1.5 days so
1 chicken lays 1 egg in 1.5 days

rather than dividing every number by 1.5.
So it takes a chicken 1.5 days to lay an egg and work from there.
Reply 17
This is like a standard GCSE maths question no? We had stuff like this (though with logical amounts of things lol) back in the day (read:2013..)
You must suspend your concept of reality in order to do this brainteaser :yep:

Yup, I realized later :biggrin:
If I have half a chicken laying half an egg every 1.5 days I'm gonna have no eggs at the end of 6 days because the health agencies will get me shut down.

Quick Reply

Latest